The Lesson

Over a slow course of seven days, Taylor isn't invited to practise with Karlie for another time. There are no nighttime break-ins through her bedroom window or any surprise visits in Miller's Farm. And to be honest, she feels quite depressed about it. Her mother notices her mood and is one to constantly ask if Taylor feels ill. Emotionally? Oh, yes. Oh, most definitely, yes.

School has started after an easy summer and Taylor walks to class in a zombie like fashion - eyes to the floor and arms on her bag straps. Abigail bumps into her in the hallway and instantly notices her pale face and tired eyes.

"No, I'm not ill," Taylor sighs, brushing a frustrated hand over her face.

"It's the first day back, I'm sure your sleep patterns are just out of order," Abigail smiles. Taylor nods, but it's nowhere near a true statement. She has always been good to go to bed at the right time. Karlie's odd disappearance has simply left Taylor an empty shell.

She files into her desk beside Abigail and the register is called. She misses her name and pardons herself in a sleepy apology. The teacher doesn't bat an eye and continues to call. After a few moments of writing down this and that, she stands to attention and hushes her students. Before she speaks she coughs a little to grab Taylor's attention - for the girl has fallen asleep. Classmates titter and whisper to one another about the little mishap. Taylor blushes in embarrassment.

"Okay, welcome back everybody. I trust that you all had an enjoyable summer. Now that we are all awake, I have decided to begin the year with a subject that many of you enjoy."

Miss Laurent turns to her chalkboard and rolls down her presentation screen to reveal a few large diagrams with long, elegant letters that read:

The Study of Vampires

Taylor is suddenly very awake.

"Seeing as the official registration for new recruits happened just last week, I thought it would be appropriate to start with this creature as the beginning to our study of monsters for the school year," says Miss Laurent with an enthusiastic smile.

There are a few excited murmurs whispering around the room. Abigail gives Taylor a pleased grin. Taylor smirks back. The class is told to settle down and the lesson begins.

The first thing Taylor learns is that there are many different breeds of vampires. Glacies Sanguinem is a breed that enjoys the cold - these being more traditional vampires. They stay in caves and snowy mountains, always far away from humans in the day time.

Some rare vampires enjoy warmth when they can find it. The Sanguis Draconis - which roughly translates to 'the blood of the dragon' - is an odd breed, which sometimes decides to mingle with the mortals under a cloak or an umbrella. This unusual trait classifies them as especially dangerous, for they are immensely skilled at camouflaging amongst humans.

"All right, stop laughing, boys," Miss Laurent sighs as she pulls out a diagram on vampire anatomy.

"As you can see, vampire bodies are not much different from our own. Similar torso, similar head, similar genitalia- Boys, stop with the giggling!"

Taylor pays no attention to her male classmate's immaturity. She is busy studying the faces of the two vampires in the picture, the girl in particular.

She has green eyes... Just like Karlie's.

"Vampire eyes can be identified by their intense colour and their ability to glow in dim light. Something to do with the reflection of the sun against the moon and retinas. I'll go into detail in another lesson," Miss Laurent babbles.