The Family Reunion

Weeks pass. Taylor becomes more and more aware of her developing powers. Sometimes a few pebbles scatter across the forest floor when she brushes a lock of hair from her face. Sometimes a sudden urge to run through the trees overcomes her and she starts up on a sprint through the Opal Mountain region. She feels tougher. Firmer. Somehow her muscles have remained at a nice blunt thickness. Even on the days when she doesn't leave her small home for fear of running into Lady Gorse, her body chooses to stay fit. It aches her arms, occasionally. When Taylor sits down her legs feel stiff and sore. Karlie watches in pity for her mate, explaining that all of this would go away with time. Hayley remains around the house. She makes a burrow not far from the cabin as she is not used to sleeping inside a room. Taylor occasionally brings her vegetables and fruit, knowing full well that she can fend for herself. But she feels close to the werewolf somehow, and after her startling confession to Karlie, she is not questioned about her behaviour.

On a particularly dark and rainy day, the group of friends is surrounding the ever swirling portal. It's been so long. Karlie fears that her family will never find it and that it will close up due to lack of use. She hangs her head in the downpour and Este places a reassuring paw on her shoulder, whining a little puppy whine on seeing her companion upset. "Thanks, E. I'm okay".

Taylor is looking at the new spring flowers. She sits and bobs around a few daffodils. The rain is drenching her short hair but she doesn't care. Her immune system is unnaturally strong now anyway. She won't even catch a sniffle. Wolf Danielle is prowling around the strange rocks at the entrance of the portal. She sniffs and growls every now and then, probably frustrated at how useless everything seems right now. Alana is rolling around in the wet grass, not making much noise but trying to enjoy herself during the somber moment. Cara and Georgia are whispering to one another, secrets and worries shared between to lovers. With a heavy sigh, Taylor gazes over her shoulder at Karlie. She never takes her green eyes off of the swirling red mass. Her combat clothes are sticking close to her skin. Taylor wonders if vampires ever get too cold. It doesn't seem so right now.

"Hey, you lot", Ella calls, stepping into the rain with her hood raised and a tray of hot drinks. "I made dragon pearl tea".

"Ooh, lovely. We haven't had tea in twenty minutes, have we, Cara?", Georgia smiles, jokingly.

"It's been unbearable", Cara replies, trying to sound humorous but feeling ever so tired and depressed about the current situation.

"Soon, soon, my love", Gee says with a kiss to her mate's cheek and a sip from her cup. Ella serves out the tea and then heads back to her cave, asking for the fiftieth time that day if anyone wants to break and come inside. Her answer is a shake of heads and weary smiles. Taylor continues to stare at her windflowers and sighs again. Then Karlie sighs. And then Este huffs.

It's all a bit dull.

But then... Just when Karlie is about to stand up and leave. Just when she is about to shed her hundredth tear. Just when the bunch is about to sadly tag along behind her, the portal shakes. It's ripples like a drop of water in the endless ocean. Karlie's eyes widen and everyone else mimics her. She shakily stands and peers ahead at the entrance. It's beginning to... pulse. It's like it's breathing. Or as if something is pushing against it. And then a hand claws out from the other side. Everybody screams and jumps back. A hand. That was a hand!

"Ella, get out here!", Karlie shrieks, tears beginning to mix with the rainwater now.

Ella clambers out of her cave seconds later. "What's happening, Karlie? Are they here?"