The Accident

Warnings: Mild gore. Self harm.
-

Lost. Karlie sighs as she realises that she and Taylor are heavily lost in the dense forest, surrounded by the constant yip of Taylor's foxes. Sometimes Taylor will carry one in her arms like a newborn and nuzzle her face into its snout. This action is followed by an eye roll from Karlie, who is growing tired. The trees are too thick to spread her wings and fly out of the wild foliage. She's too exhausted to lift herself an inch off the ground anyway. Taylor coos at her fox babies and Karlie groans.

"Ya know, maybe we should have left these guys behind. There's so many of them! What if they get hurt when we find our way back?"

"Oh, Karlie", Taylor dismisses, kissing her fox on the head. "Don't worry, Lily, she doesn't mean that".

Karlie pauses, "Taylor...".

"Yeah?"

"Did you name all fifty two of these foxes?"

"... Cody, Lara, Jingles, Snoop, Daisy, Coco, Ma—"

"Satan's Angels", Karlie exclaims, dragging a hand over her face. "You've been missing for two days and you named all of them?"

"Three days now", Taylor corrects. "But don't worry, they were all christened on day one", she says with a wink.

"Well I've completely lost my own scent trail. Stupid weather, I haven't a clue where we are. Why haven't your Chosen One senses helped you in this situation?"

"Hey! Still gaining control of these things you know. Don't blame me for this", Taylor scolds with a shake of her hand in Karlie's face.

"I thought sex was supposed to strengthen your powers", Karlie shrugs.

"What?", Taylor mutters, nearly tripping over the fox parade.

"I said I thought sex was supposed to make you stronger. That's what Ella said, right?"

"Karlie, where did you learn that word?"

"What word".

"Sex, where did you learn the word sex? I thought vampires didn't have words for that stuff besides mating and courting".

Karlie blushes slightly and coughs in an awkward manner. She looks ahead of herself before answering, "I had been reading about humans. I wanted to get to know you guys better".

"Oh, really?", Taylor questions, quite pleased that Karlie is interested in her kind.

"Yeah, your species are so strange", the vampire says with a bashful laugh.

"In what ways?", Taylor smiles.

"Well... You sleep a lot".

Taylor snorts and the fox in her arms licks at her cheek, fearing something could be wrong. "Yes, we do. What else is strange about us?"

"You're very strict with your social circles. You always like to have 'best friends'".

"I don't see what's so odd about that. You're best friends with Este and Cara, right? You have lost of best friends".