The Fresh Start

Karlie is awoken by an agitated groaning coming from the cave den. Taylor is somehow sleeping through the racket - her hair messily falling around her face and mouth slightly agape; allowing soft snores to escape her dry morning lips. After carefully turning the sleeping beauty on her side, Karlie gently creeps out of the pillowy sanctuary and leaves to investigate. She finds Alana in the den, face down and dramatically groaning into the stone floor.

"Good morning?" Karlie greets.

"Nyuuughh" Alana responds.

"Same"

"Karlie, I'm so bored!" Alana groans, lazily rolling onto her back.

"It's, like, seven or something. Hardly anyone's up yet"

"Karlie, you know that wolves get up super early! I'm so bored, it's exhausting me"

Karlie giggles through a breathy yawn and gives her arms a long stretch to rid her body of heavy sleep. Alana whines - much like that of a puppy - and Karlie gives her head a quick scratch before heading to the eating area. She rummages around the rickety cupboards and pulls out boxes of wheat and a few acorns.

Wolves don't have a lot of food in the winter.

The vampire pushes the troubling thought to the back of her mind for now and continues her search for sustenance. Heavy footsteps plod into the room and Karlie turns from her low angle to see Este walking in.

"Good morning", she greets with a fist rub to her eye.

"Hey, you have no food" Karlie responds.

"You always make such a mess when you're hungry" Este chuckles, inspecting an empty box that once held blueberries - a few of which have scattered across the floor.

"It's a bad habit, I'll admit" Karlie sighs. "But I'm really hungry"

Este ponders for a moment, tapping a bare foot on the stone cave floor "I could catch a few fish for you. I doubt you've the energy to wait for nightfall again so you can feed"

"I think I've lost the taste for human blood anyway" Karlie says, slightly far away as if she were talking to herself. She thinks about how once she ventured out every night to feed off the blood of humans. She'd never turn them; only bite, drain, and exit. It's what every vampire does. But it seems so... wrong now - now that she has Taylor. Karlie thinks about her mate and how difficult it's going to be to reveal everything to her. Karlie thinks about Taylor's eyes - the very sign that she is her one true mate; that rich, hypnotic, enchanting blue.

"I have a lust for something else now"

Este doesn't quite hear the comment and is buttoning up a bear fur coat "I'll be back in maybe half an hour"

"Be safe" Karlie calls as Este unlocks the front door.

"Safety" Este laughs to herself with a small shake of her head. "Lanzo, you wanna come?"

Alana bursts out the door before Este can even finish her sentence. The blonde rolls her eyes before grabbing Alana's coat from the coat hooks and then heading out after her. The door closes and Karlie is left alone in the eating area.

It's not exactly a kitchen, but rather a room with items that make it resemble one. There are a few cupboards falling off their hinges and an enormous slab of rock held up by tree stumps for a table. A tiny hearth and stove sits comfortably in the corner. Scratchy cushions act as lumpy chairs and a single round, roughly built window is the only light source. But Karlie enjoys the homeliness of the Haim sister's winter home. Of course she misses the extravagance of her palace but there's nothing quite like enjoying the little things.