Screw it

c h a p t e r
001

The lake was cold as the weather, probably freezing every animal around. But seeing as I was contained with hot magma, I felt warm and cozy just swimming around. I loved playing around the water, because it always calmed me down, like it was balancing me. Saying like it was gravity would be cliche, but it really was. I relaxed my head on the hard rock in the middle of the lake, just staring at the skies above. Tomorrow was the day I turn eighteen, which is full moon. I knew for sure that it was dangerous to roam around, because there might be vicious wolves running around unstable of their minds. So it's better to stay here, and hide, like I always do. Deciding to finally take a sleep, I swam to the nearby land and got out of the water. I didn't bother to change clothes since I only had minimum of clothes. I wrapped the blanket around me, tightly tying it above my shoulders, and walked through the woods to make my way to the tree house. Seeing the familiar oak tree, I started to climb. My small house was above this very high tree, barely seen down the ground. It was comfortable there, since I can go above my roofs and stare at the horizontal lines of trees. Sometimes I could see city light, knowing there was a city far away, but I don't bother to got there. I was so used of the woods that I was very attached to it.

Climbing for minutes, I looked up so see I was almost near the small covered hut. I had this house made by me, since I knew I couldn't go back to the old cabin at the east, now I live here in south. I grabbed the ladder and climbed more until I finally made it to my door, I opened it and closed it behind me. Stretching, I checked my surroundings, seeing the familiar boxes of books, small table, small ladder on the left that leads to the roof, and the foamy bed. I grabbed the candle on the table and lit it up with just one blow-one of my abilities, breathing fire and controlling them. I stretched my back, remembering I haven't stretched my wings for two days, along with my wolf form. I sighed, I'll just do it tomorrow.

I put the candle down and got ready for bed. I held on my necklace, remembering Mariam's words. I closed my eyes, and then darkness consumed me.

(• • •)

Shaking. That woke me up. A loud bang rang out and I quickly shot out of bed. What was that? I crawled towards the ladder and climbed up, I slid down the roof and landed next to a branch. I looked down and concentrated. My vision went livid as it saw through the farthest.

There were at least three wolves, lunging and leaping through the air, attacking one another. I sniffed and there, I smelt the scent of three pack members that were most definitely from a nearby pack. I gulped, what should I do?

The other wolf attacked the others and started biting its neck making the other howl in pain. Should I stop them?

I took a deep breath, closing my eyes for a minute. I touched the tree I was on and went through its roots, trying to control them. When I had finally connected to it, I rose four large roots on the ground and separated all each wolves. I winced when one had scratched and bite it. Poor tree. I could feel its pain.

I clenched my jaw and threw each wolves gently away from each other. Thankfully they all ran away from each other. I sighed and put the roots back down. I healed the scratched ones and went to make my way back inside my house. Deciding to help these creatures from killing each other, I changed into some short jeans and a grey hoodie, I wore my worn out sneakers and got out of my house. I jumped and went to one branch to another, avoiding the ground. I fogged my mind through each trees, searching for more wolves. But when I felt none, I had jumped down to the ground and looked around through the dark. I looked up and the full moon was covered in clouds, thank god for that.

Suddenly, I hear a scream. I whipped my head around and concentrated.

It came from the west.

Should I? I mean, what if it's a child?

Scream. I gulped, feeling my wolf growling to ignore it and just hide.

A cry made me growl. Screw it. I ran off with my full speed.