The Legend: Part II: Chapter 16 - Morning Sickness

Zelda's P.O.V

I laid unmoving in bed as I watched the shadows on the wall disappear as the sun rose and light entered the room. Every night I had been with Link I was able to sleep soundly but the moment he left my bed that sense of comfort was lost. I felt utterly alone, and what's worse was that it was my doing. I was the one that pushed Link away for both our sakes. Though he was understanding and agreed to stay away and let me marry Armani, part of me wanted him to say no and fight for me. But that's just wishful thinking and childish dreams. There was no such thing as a happy ending. All those stories were just lies. I sighed in annoyance as I pushed myself to move and get out of bed. I had zero motivation and my heart ached as I laid there. Eventually I got up and began to prepare myself for the day ahead. Today was Link's recruits final exam. Today his trainees would become apart of the guard. I was proud of Link and the responsibility he accepted. He showed true leadership as Captain of the guard, and I believed he had not just the respect of me but of all of his peers. As my mind wandered off about Link I began to lay out what I was to wear for the day. Maids entered the room to help me prepare for the day. My hair was braided back into a fish tail braid that draped over my shoulder. While small golden pins adorned the back of my head. I wore a light blue dress which was fairly casual and white gloves to complete the outfit. I sighed while I looked at myself in the mirror. In truth I was tired of this life. My heart yearned nothing more than to be with Link and go on another adventure, but I had a duty to my people. That was just another hopeless dream. "You're highness your horse is ready for your down stairs." One of my maids stated. "I'll be just a moment." I responded. Once the maids left I continued to stare at myself. Something was different about me, but I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was. My eyes shined brighter while my complexion was visibly clearer. In a sense I seemed older as I observed my reflection. I then laughed at myself for being so concentrated on my looks. As I stood up I felt a sudden wave of nausea hit me. I quickly ran towards the bathroom before all the contents of my stomach scattered onto the floor. I reached for the waste basin and quickly vomited. After I was finished the back of my throat burned from my stomach's acid. I coughed in hopes to soothe my throat but it was all for naught. I rinsed out my mouth with water and then drank a glass or two to calm my stomach. I regrettably ate a fine breakfast which was now in the waste bin. I sighed in disappointment. Suddenly the thought dawned upon me on why did I throw up? I ate no bad or undercooked meals. Nor did I take any strange potions or medicines to aid with my lack of sleep. "Oh no." I realized. I was pregnant. I dropped my glass causing it to shatter onto the floor. I held my head in distress as I panicked. Armani would never wed me if I was with child. Hyrule would be doomed. But then suddenly the thought of Link came to mind. It was his child I carried. A wave of true elation washed over me. I couldn't help but smile as I gently pressed a hand to my stomach. I suddenly pictured myself with Link and our child. We were a happy family and everything seemed so perfect and so within reach. But then my stomach dropped. "I have to tell Link." I whispered to myself. If I told him the truth he would never let Armani and I marry. Either way Hyrule is on the brink of war. I did this. I put my kingdom and its people in danger.