The Legend: Part II: Chapter 17 - The Final Exam

Link's P.O.V

The day began with directing the recruits to Hyrule Field where their final exam would take place. Carts of weapons were dragged from Castle Town towards the grassy plain outside of the palace walls. While a meeting area was arranged for Zelda and her guests. I cringed at the thought of Armani and the King of Termina. They had no place here. "Captain where should we arranged the targets for the archery test?" Ravio questioned. "Face the targets away from the rising sun. We don't want any outside forces to effect the way we grade our recruits." I explained. Ravio bowed in respect and then turned to take care of the targets. I was slightly stressed about today, but the thought of making Zelda happy kept me going. She had bestowed this responsibility upon me in trust that I would do a good job, and that is exactly what I planned on doing. The recruits final exam would consist of a series of tests. First archery, swordsmanship, and then lastly battle tactics. I had no doubt that my pupils would pass with flying colors for archery and swordsmanship, but battle tactics was something the group as a whole struggled with. Within the hour everything was set up and ready to go. The recruits stood impatiently in lines as we waited for Zelda to arrive. She was fairly late, and I was beginning to worry. After an hour of waiting Prince Armani and his father arrived. "Where is the Queen?" I asked as Armani dismounted from his horse. "She felt ill this morning. Zelda should be arriving shortly." Armani answered. I glared at him with as much hate as I could muster. It seemed that Armani could sense my dislike for him for after he answered my question he quickly scampered away. I felt satisfied to know that Armani was aware of my dislike for him in that moment. Him and his father sat on either side of Zelda's currently empty seat. "Where is she?" I asked myself. I began to worry. Armani said she was ill, but if that truly was the case I'd rather she stay at home and rest. "Should we start without her?" Armani inquired. "No. The Queen must be present." I stated sternly. I took notice to how the recruits shifted nervously. I never stated out loud to them my love for Zelda but something about the way they acted told me they had full knowledge. "It is tradition that a royal be present for the recruits final exam." I added quickly. "Well both my Father and I are here. And we are Royals." Armani stated smugly. "Of Termina. Not Hyrule." I corrected. "If this was Termina's royal guard that would be a different story." I stated sharply. Armani opened his mouth to say something but was quickly interrupted by the playing of trumpets. Zelda had finally arrived. She strolled up in a carriage versus a horse like she usually did. The recruits turned to her and saluted their queen as she stepped down from the carriage. She was stunning as always. Her hair was braided back to reveal her radiant face. Zelda looked towards me and smiled. I smiled back and bowed in recognition. She walked towards the front line of the recruits where I was currently standing. "I apologize for my tardiness! I'm sure all of you are very eager to prove your worth. I wish you all the best of luck in your final exam. I know all of you will do great!" Zelda exclaimed to the crowd. She was visibly much happier today than she has been in the past. "Let the final exam begin!" Zelda stated as she leaned towards me. "I have something really important to tell you after this." She whispered in my ear. I nodded in acknowledgment as I offered her my hand and guided her to her seat between Armani and his father. The prince of Termina glared at me as I released Zelda's hand and bowed. "Excuse me Milady I have a duty to fulfill." I stated without looking away from Armani's hateful gaze. "Tell Ronin that I wish him lots of luck in particular." Zelda instructed. "Of course." I chuckled. After that the recruits were divided into groups and directed to various stations where they would present their skills in archery, swordsmanship and battle tactics. Those who did not pass one of these stations would not proceed to graduation. A few hours went by and it was clear that the majority of the recruits had passed. I couldn't be prouder.