Chapter Three

"Michael this is Troye. You two will be spending a lot of time together. I suggest you two spend some time getting to know each other and then tomorrow we'll start with the list I made for both of you. Your things will be moved in tomorrow morning." Jennifer gave them a fake smile, leaving them be in their new apartment. Everything had high end furnishings and stainless steel appliances. It was everything Michael would see on HGTV late at night snuggled up next to Luke on the couch. Luke always wanted a place like this, but it wasn't in their budget. Now Michael feels like the biggest ass living in the apartment without Luke. Michael simply wanted to be at his home cuddling Luke, but here he is trying to get to know this boy who resembles Luke a few years back. This isn't what he thought his life would turn out to be.

Michael broke himself away from his thoughts about Luke and looked over towards the boy sitting on the love seat across from him in their new living room. Troye was paying more attention to his phone than he was to Michael, not that Michael minded but it got him thinking about if this Troye guy is in the same situation he's in or if he's in it for the paycheck. 

"Troye, right?" Michael spoke first, the brunette looked up from his phone to see Michael looking at him curiously. Troye nodded, sitting his phone down and scooting to the edge of the couch to look at Michael better and maybe engage in some form of conversation to make this whole situation less awkward. "Why exactly did you sign up to be my beard?"

Troye chuckled, shaking his head. "I didn't. I was thrown in to this situation sort of like you were. My manager thought it would be a fantastic idea for me to date some hot band member who was quite famous for his age to gain publicity for the album I recently released. Yeah recognition for what you've written and released is nice, but this isn't what I wanted." His voice was thick with an accent and Michael slowly started to recognize that he was Australian, but he's clearly been in America long enough to have his voice sound a bit off. 

"I can't believe this." Michael groaned, burying his face in his hands. "I just want to be home with my boyfriend."

"Wait, you have a boyfriend? Does he know about all of this?" Troye asked, he was curious about everything as well, Michael doesn't blame him. Neither were briefed about the each other being left to figure it out themselves together.

"Yes and no. Apparently dating your bandmate is bad for publicity. Like I care about that. I've been with Luke for three years and when he sees I'm not home tonight and these pictures that we'll have to take tomorrow he's going to hate me." Michael ran his hands across his face in frustration. Troye looked at him with sympathy and Michael knew he felt bad about all of this as well. The last thing he probably wanted was to rip apart a relationship in the process of creating a new one for a publicity stunt.

"I'm sorry..." He apologized, looking down at the ground and away from the guitarist in front of him. Troye was quiet for a moment before he spoke again, "Can you not say anything about this to him?"

Michael laughed dryly, "No. This is supposed to keep us apart and if he hates me the plan Jennifer put together is working. It's a fucking messed up plan, but if I didn't pick this I wouldn't be in the band and Luke–my boyfriend–loves our band a lot. It was his one goal in life and I couldn't leave and mess that up as well, he wouldn't want to continue with some other person playing the guitar and singing along side of him. No one would."

"Okay, well lets make the best of this. You're officially my new best friend and we're going to turn this fake relationship into the biggest thing anyone has ever seen and then you can drop my ass when we become irrelevant." Troye stated proudly, he wanted to make something out of this. If he could gain out of this he wouldn't mind. He just doesn't want to have a nasty feud between he and Michael to make everything worse and awkward. 

"Not a bad plan. Except this isn't a friendship thing we have to go on dates, hold hands, kiss. Do stereotypical cute things together. Jennifer even put down something else, hold on," Michael pulled up the list on his phone. "A YouTube video? Ha, of course,  the 'boyfriend tag'. My manager thinks she so original." Michael scoffed, throwing his phone down beside him in a huff.

"That's the easy stuff, we just have to make it look believable. I don't know, we can practice the holding hands because that's the one thing people see a flaw in. And for kissing haven't you ever heard of a stage kiss? Our lips will barely even touch, but it'll look legit."

"I'm trusting you on this. Now," Michael stood up, fixing his pants and dusting of his shirt. "I'm going to head to bed and turn my phone off because I'd rather not have to deal with the break down that follows the many calls and text messages Luke will leave for me for not being home tonight." Michael gave Troye a tight smile, bidding him goodnight before he walked around until he found his new room. 

It was grey and matched Michaels mood perfectly. He couldn't wait for sleep to consume his for the night.

////

I rewrote this chapter twice and i'm finally happy with it omfg

you guys are going to love Troye in this ok ok he's my smol bean, I would never write him into a terrible person/character.

let me know you thoughts!

love you guys!!!