Chapter Twenty-Four

When Michael landed in Los Angeles he was swamped with the paparazzi yelling and asking him questions on why he left, why Troye didn't go with to meet the family. There were rows of fans waiting to meet him at the airport as well and they weren't calm, it was a crowd of people trying to push past security and rope barriers to keep them put. He didn't know how they knew when he was arriving, but someone must've tipped them off when he departed from Sydney. It irritated him that he couldn't have an ounce of privacy anymore. Not that he doesn't love everyone who supports his music and the band, he's just having a rough time getting through the day with all the shit in his life and getting mobbed after a fifteen hour flight wasn't something you want. 

Michael was done, he needed to see Luke and have the blond hold him as he cried about all the stress going on in his life, but that wasn't an option anymore. Not when all the stress if coming from the fact that Luke thinks he cheated and that the doesn't love him anymore when it's so far from the truth. 

Michael sighed and got in the car waiting for him out front of L.A.X. and he arrived back at his apartment within the next hour. What he wasn't expecting was to see Ashton and Calum sitting on the couch when he walked in. Tossing his suitcase to the side, he cleared his throat to catch their attention.

"What's going on here?" Michael questioned, walking around to face his two friends. He hadn't heard from Ashton in awhile, the drummer had made it his mission to keep away and comfort Luke instead which was understandable. Luke and Ashton had always had a brotherly relationship with one another since the moment they met. Luke had always been on the smaller side until puberty hit him, so Ashton kept to his side to protect him throughout high school when Michael wasn't around.

"Calum told me everything." Ashton said, standing up to his full height to face Michael. Michael was relieved he didn't have to retell the situation over again because it puts him in such a sour mood, but he also wanted to explain it to Ashton and let his friend know he wasn't keeping him in the dark for no reason. There was a reason behind it all. "I'm going to help you get Luke back, I hate seeing you both so sad." Ashton pulled Michael in for a tight hug, holding his friend close. Michael was broken and all Ashton wanted was to hold the pieces back together for a few short moments. 

"We're in this together, buddy." Calum clapped him on the back before joining in on their hug. 

////

"You went back home? How is everyone doing?" Ashton asked, sitting on the edge of the couch while Michael laid sprawled out on the ground with his face buried in his pillow. Calum was busying himself in the kitchen making a midnight snack for the trio.

"I spent a lot of time in my room writing this one song... It's about Luke, no surprise. I talked a lot with my mom about what I should do and she gave me a lot of great advice, they miss me a lot though and it broke my heart to come back so soon." Michael mumbled, closing his eyes to rest them while he continued to speak. The jet lag was real and he didn't know when he's be getting a goodnights sleep next. "I also talked to Liz for awhile... I told her the truth. She was determined to fly back with me to sort this all out, but it would be a complete mess. It wouldn't have ended well."

Ashton giggled, shaking his head at the thought of Luke's mom trying to fight their management. "Was she angry at first?"

Michael nodded his head, "Yeah, she said Luke calls her crying and I wanted nothing more than go end this whole thing and hold him. I don't deserve all these tears Luke's been shedding because of me. It's painful to hear about, he shouldn't have to go through all of this to begin with."

"We'll figure this out Mikey, don't you worry." Ashton assured, reaching down to where Michael was laying and patted him on the leg.

"I come bearing food!" Calum announced, placing the tray down on the coffee table. Michael reached from his spot on the ground to grab a pizza roll off the tray. It was like heaven in his mouth after having to suffer through the food on the plane. Michael mumbled out a thank you before he continued to eat more. 

A few moments of silence had passed by, they continued to eat and simultaneously scroll through their phones while they stuffed their faces. Michael came to a halt when he saw the same picture suddenly flooding his timeline. His jaw dropped and he suddenly felt as if he could't breathe. Everything was going okay, he was going to get Luke back and their lives would go on, but Luke has no clue about anything. 

Luke still believes that Michael doesn't love him anymore. 

Luke went out and met a beautiful girl and left all his memories with Michael in his past. 

Luke moved on and Michael felt his heart shatter and drop to the pit of his stomach in the matter of seconds. 

Michael lost Luke to someone else for the first time in his life and he was going to be sick.

////

this story honestly makes me so sad and i have to be in the mood to really delve into these chapters to write. it causes me too much heartache.

thoughts?

The trio working on a plan together?

Michael seeing pictures of Luke out with someone else?

Luke trying to move on?

thanks for reading! :-)