Chapter Twenty-Eight

"I have to get Luke back!" Michael yelled, slamming his hands down on the table in front of him.

Calum and Ashton stared at Michael, confused on why he was yelling, and slightly concerned on how he got up to their apartment without them buzzing him in. But Ashton smiled after a moment, loving the determination on the faux blonds face. "Took you long enough."

Even though in Michael's mind he had been trying to figure out a way to tell Luke from the beginning he simply hadn't acted on it yet. Except now after having to sit and watch Luke with his new girlfriend and act like they used to, it made everything a little bit more real for Michael.

Michael didn't want to go through with the rest of his life knowing he was the one who ruined his life by going through with a shitty plan conjured up by his management–that was filled with a bunch of old people who only wanted money. Especially since he hasn't even gone out anywhere with Troye recently since the smaller brunet was always busy, the plan was dwindling down the drain and Michael needed to end it for real. Even if he loses his position in the band. Luke was worth so much more than his dream job, because in reality Luke was Michael's dream. Luke was everything Michael ever wanted placed perfectly in one single person.

"I have to get him back. I can't handle seeing him with that girl and knowing it's actually real between them."

"You know we all believed you and Troye were really a thing. That's what Luke sees your relationship as with him. This isn't a PR stunt constructed by our shitty management for Luke. This is Luke expanding his options now that he thinks you both are done for good." Ashton explained, knowing fairly well that Michael hasn't thought any of this through. Luke isn't just going to jump right back into a relationship with Michael when he's already found someone else, even if it doesn't last with the girl he's going out and doing something for himself and not moping around in Michael's old clothes.

"I can't do that to him then..." Michael paused, rubbing at his face in frustration. "like, take him away from someone else..."

Calum groaned, "Yes you can. Ashton's just trying to get you to understand Luke's point of view. He's still in the dark about it."

Michael collapsed in the seat across from the two, "What do I do then?"

"Play him that song you wrote when you went back home. Play him San Francisco." Calum said sternly.

////

"I'm sorry." Was the first thing Luke said when he picked up the phone. "I know you're a good guy, and what you did to me was shitty but I'm doing okay and I'm moving on, but karma got you right back and I want to say I told you so, but I'll refrain from doing that. I'll stick with I'm sorry and I'm here if you need me."

For one Michael wasn't expecting Luke to pick up the phone, and he wasn't expecting Luke to go on a long spiel about something Michael has no knowledge on. Confusing the faux blond more than necessary. "Okay, what the fuck was that about? I'm confused."

"Oh," Luke let out a long breath, "Oh! You haven't seen?"

"What haven't I seen? What's going on, Luke?"

"Troye, your, um boyfriend," Luke cleared his throat, hating the way the word boyfriend rolled off his tongue when it wasn't directed to his and Michael's relationship. "I saw some pap pictures spreading around. He was with this other guy who's name is Connor and they were out on a fancy date in this private secluded area, but apparently someone found them and snagged a few pictures."

"What?" Michael gasped, trying to sound a bit surprised at this new news. He knew Connor and Troye were a thing from the start, but he kept his mouth shut and let them do their own thing. Michael knew after awhile they'd do a terrible job at hiding like Michael and Luke had  once done.

"I'm sorry, Mikey." Luke said, and Michael knew he was being sincere about it.

Michael faked a choked sob, holding back his first moment in the past month or more where he can actually rejoice and thank Troye a thousand times for fucking up before he did.

"Do you want me to come over? I had some plans with Hailey later, but you're my best friend so I'm sure she'd understand why I'd need to reschedule."

Michael froze in his moment of praise over his plan to win Luke back over now, Michael was technically going to be a single man by the end of the night after he talks with Troye. Michael can woo Luke over and cuddle him like old times, his first step is getting Luke to be his best friend again without all the awkward pauses and all the "remember when" moments that would get brought up out of habit.

"If it's not too much trouble... I don't want to intrude though." Michael sighed, trying his best to really sound sad about all of this.

"You're not intruding." Luke promised from the other line of the call. "We're in this together."

"Really?" Michael asked, a bit amazed Luke has already put the rest behind him. "It won't be too weird?"

Luke chuckled, and god did Michael miss that sound echoing through the phone. "Well, now that you said that it probably will."

"It'll be like old times then. Besides the heartache and the hatred towards everything."

"That's exactly like old times."

"Okay, you got me there." Michael laughed lightly, enjoying the small banter between them. He missed this side of Luke the most. Where they could carry on with random conversations through the night and never get tired, even after spending the previous day together. They always had something new to share with one another, always had a corny dad joke or an awkward question to fill the silence with laughter. "I-I'd really like it if you came over though." Michael said softly, his voice cracking some at the beginning.

"I'll stop by the store and get some Ben & Jerry's then. See you soon babe." Michael's eyes went wide and he stared at his phone where Luke had ended the call all too quickly, almost as if he knew he fucked up at the end.

Tonight was going to be different, but Michael was ready to be coddled by Luke. Ready to find a way straight back into Luke's heart and finally tell him everything that's gone down. Michael wanted to tell him weeks ago, but it's dragged on for longer than he had expected and now he's tired of this game he's been thrown into, tired of leaving Luke in the dark about it all, Michael's tired of living a lie.

////

I wrote this so fast like does it even make sense? That's the real question.

Anyway I got this chapter out faster this time and right before a long week ahead of me.

OKAY THOUGHTS?

WHATS GONNA HAPPEN WITH MUKE?

Troye and Connor being dumb but also equally geniuses in getting caught?

Luke calling Michael babe?

Do you think Luke is started to slowly forgive Michael about all of this and make amends or is it because he's still in love with him and he's making it harder on himself?

Idk just lemme know what you thought and what you think will happen next.

Thanks for reading babes❤️