Chapter Five

"What's wrong and why did you want me to rush over here?" Calum ran a hand through his hair and looked at his best friend pacing his apartment floor. It was around 1 p.m. and Luke was freaking out because Michael didn't come home last night and his phone keeps going straight to voicemail and it's worrying him beyond belief. Michael always calls if he's going to be back late or not home in general. 

"Michael's missing!"

"What!?" Calum gasped, looking at the blond with wide eyes. "Why didn't you say that sooner? Have you called the cops?"

Luke shook his head no and began to nervously chew at his fingernails, looking away from his friend. "His stuff is missing as well. No one kidnaps someone along with all of their belongings."

"Luke–"

"Stop," Luke interrupted hoping back a sob, his eyes filling with tears as he looked back at Calum. Luke didn't know what to think of the situation. None of this was like Michael. Michael always comes home. Always tells Luke goodnight and how much he loves him, "To the moon and back." he'd say just to see a pretty little smile make it's way to Luke's lips before they would fall asleep in each others arms. "Michael left.

"You don't really believe that, do you? You know Michael better than any of us, he wouldn't do that. You know he wouldn't" Calum reminded him. When Luke loses faith in the situation there's no going back to steer him the right way. "I'll check twitter... Someone might've seen him last night or this morning."

////

"This is all so dumb." Michael whined, he and Troye had already been photographed and spotted by at least twenty fans that morning. They stopped to talk and take pictures with all of them. Jennifer wanted as much proof out there. If being photographed and mobbed by paparazzi wasn't enough to make people believe it he doesn't know what will. 

"Agreed," Troye hummed, letting go of Michaels hand. Michael's palms were sweaty, but he chose to not say anything about that to the guitarist, he was already under a lot more stress than he personally was. "I say we grab some lunch and then go our separate ways. Do you have any band related stuff coming up? I'm supposed to come along to some of them where Jennifer isn't present. Y'know to keep an eye on you." Troye winked, joking around with Michael. They were pawns in a chess game that was impossible to win, being held back as guards to be throw around and used to protect the big picture, but they wanted out more than anything.

"Can we grab some chipotle? I want the biggest bowl of guacamole they'll serve me and I'm charging it to Jennifer's credit card." Troye nodded quickly in response, grabbing ahold of Michael's hand again before they found their way into the closet chipotle. They were trying to be discreet, but someone always recognized one of them. This time it happen to be an employee, and their food ended up being free. Not that they were complaining it just didn't make sense to give the people who have the money free food, when the people behind them in line were scavenging for change in their pockets to meet the total. Michael felt bad for them so he handed off the credit card and paid for their meals before they could protest. 

Troye sat across from Michael, burrito bowl and chips and guacamole placed in the middle of the round table. "That was nice of you."

Michael shrugs, he did something nice its not news worthy it was a simple act of kindness that no one should hesitate to do some days. 

He looks down to the chips and stuffs his face with the food. He felt as if he hadn't eaten for hours, and he probably hasn't. The last time he actually remembers eating was when he ate breakfast yesterday... with Luke–before the meeting with Jennifer– where they talked about the future. If they thought they'd last forever. Michael said without a doubt they would, but now those plans, hopes and dreams are spiraling down the drain.

"It's only been a day. How I'm supposed to continue this relationship when I can only think about how heartbroken Luke is right now. He's probably seen all those pictures by now and that makes want to empty my stomach and lay in bed and think about how terrible of a person I am."

"You're not terrible. It could be him in this situation, but you took it upon yourself to keep him safe from it. That's admirable and if he knew he'd thank you." 

"I'm going home," Michael stood up from his seat, catching the attention of few more people in the restaurant. He looked down at Troye and gave him a small smile and pressing his face in Troye's hair. It was supposed to be a kiss to his forehead, but Michael could bring himself to betray Luke to that extent just yet. He might shattered inside as well.

////

"What do you mean Michael was seen with another guy?" Luke asked, looking over at Calum with furrowed brows and hurt expression. "That doesn't make sense, he wouldn't cheat on me."

"I don't know what is going on... I'm just as confused as you are Luke."

"Michael wouldn't do that. You're lying!" Luke shouted, angry tears streaming down his cheeks.

Calum grabbed Luke by the shoulders, urging him to look him in the eye. "There's picture everywhere Luke. Look at them, it's Michael with another guy."

"No, no, no. Michael loves me. He told me yesterday morning. He loves me to the moon and back. You don't understand, this isn't real. Michael wouldn't do this to me, of all people." Tears were flowing freely down Luke's cheeks, Calum continued to wipe them away no matter how much Luke pushed him away. Calum held him close, this is what Luke does when he's in denial. 

"Everything is gone, Luke. You said he didn't come home, and now he's the name on every headline with Troye Sivan. I didn't even know they knew each other." Calum mumbled the last part, pulling his best friend closer as he cried, and cried. Michael always took care of the tears that were shed by Luke, but now he's the cause of them and Calum didn't know how to calm him down. "Luke, please calm down. You're going to make yourself sick."

"I don't care," Luke hiccuped, "I just want Michael. Please find him and bring him home to me."

Calum swore his heart broke with every word that left Luke's lips. He didn't say anything in response to his best friend, the last thing he wanted to do was get his hopes up.

////

((ignore any mistakes, i didn't proof read this at all.))

thanks for reading. your thoughts overall are appreciated. :-)