Chapter Thirty

[Fourteen years ago]

It was the first day of kindergarten for Luke and he was nervous. The five year old didn't know anyone in his new school–he didn't actually know many people so he had no real reason to complain about not having friends beforehand– his mother continued to reassure the small blond that he would make friends and everything would be okay by the time she came back to pick him up.

Luke still didn't quite believe his mother, but he decided he'd give it a try and if he didn't like it the tears would be making an appearance at dinner tonight.

As Luke slowly made his way into the classroom to hang his Spider-Man backpack up on the wall along with everyone else's, he noticed the hook next to his held the same backpack as his making his eyes light up. There was another kid in his class that liked spider-man just like him.

"Mommy, someone likes Spider-Man just like me."

"Why don't you go find them? Okay? I'll see you this afternoon." His mother smiled, giving him a chaste kiss on the cheek as she was running late for work already, she waved goodbye to her youngest leaving him determined who liked the same superhero as him.

////

"Luke?" The teacher called, grabbing the younger boys attention. "Don't you want to go outside to play?" He was too concentrated in his drawing that he missed the bell for recess, a pout formed on his lips as he glanced at the wall of windows lining the classroom. All of his classmates were out playing in the sun, but he kind of wanted to finish his drawing instead.

"Can I stay inside to finish my picture? I want to give it to my brother Jack when I get home, but if I go outside to play I won't have time to finish it." Luke was hoping his teacher wouldn't mind. Besides there was another boy in the classroom coloring and he wasn't be forced outside.

His teacher smiles softly at him before nodding their head and crouching down to his level before speaking. "That would be fine... Do you think it would be okay if Michael came over to draw with you though?"

Luke furrowed his eyebrows before looking at the boy two tables over. He hadn't spoken to any of the other kids today so he wasn't to keen on the idea of sharing his coloring space. "He won't take my crayons, will be? My mommy just bought me a new pack and it even has a sharpener on the back!"

The teacher chuckled, shaking her head no. "He has his own. Michael, why don't you come sit with Luke to color while I go check on the kids outside!"

Michael huffed before gathering his things and placing them down in front of Luke. Luke stared at Michael's packet of colored pencils and magic markers in awe. His mommy never let him use markers, not since he left one open and it got all over her pretty white dress.

"Hi." Luke said shyly, glancing the small boy over in front of him. Luke took notice of his blond hair and green eyes. Luke liked green a lot, definitely this Michael boys eyes. They reminded him of his mommy's necklace that had an emerald in the middle of it.

"Do not talk to me." Michael huffed, he was coloring inside the lines of his superman coloring page and trying to ignore the boy in front of him.

"Oh, okay." Luke mumbled, tears welling up in his eyes. He hated when people were mean. Luke couldn't help that he cried when he was scolded by his parents or even by someone else who was only five years old. "I am sorry that I spoke to you."

Michael furrowed his eyebrows, usually when he would tell that to someone they'd continue talking to annoy the small boy. Never had someone almost cried at his words. His stomach twisted in knots as the blond boy in front of him was wiping at his watery eyes and snotty nose.

Michael sighed, placing a cap over his marker before picking up his drawing and walking to the other side of the table to sit next to Luke. Michael grabbed a few of his markers and stuck his hand out to offer them to the blond boy.

Luke looked up, tears staining his cheeks as he glanced at the green marker in Michael's hand. "Why are you giving me this?"

"I did not mean to make you cry. I am sorry blondie." Michael grinned, hoping that this boy would forgive him. He didn't like see people cry especially if he was the main cause of them.

"My name is Luke, not blondie." Luke mumbled, taking the marker out of Michael's hand and opening it. It was the perfect shade of green for him to finish coloring in the tree he was drawing. Jack would be so proud that he managed to stay inside the lines of his picture.

"Okay." Michael shrugged, not minding that he had been corrected. "Do you like superheroes Luke?"

Luke's head snapped around to look at Michael, wondering if he's the boy who has the matching backpack. "I like Spider-Man."

"Hey! I have Spider-Man on my backpack. He is so cool!" Michael gushed, angling himself so he can see Luke better from where he is seated. "My mommy won't let me watch the movies, but I already know he's my favorite superhero ever!"

"Me too! We have the same backpack!" Luke smiled, already loving the feeling of having someone to talk to while he colored. Besides the fact Michael had made him cry, Luke had a good feeling he just made his first friend in kindergarten.

"No way!" Michael shouted, eyes wide with excitement. "It is official. You are my new best friend, Lukey!"

Luke bashfully smiled at the boy with pretty green eyes. "Really?"

"Yes! I'm going to ask my mommy if you can come over to play after school." Michael declared, grinning from ear to ear. He always had such a hard time making friends, but with Luke it was easy and they both liked Spider-Man. What more do you need from at friendship at the age of five?

"That would be awesome!" Luke gushed, "We can play superheroes and help save the world."

Michael was ecstatic, all he would need to do is ask his mom when she picked him up from school. He can already tell the rest of today was going to be a good. Especially now that he has a brand new friend.

////

I figured you all needed a little bit of fluff in the midst of the pain I am causing you through this story.

This just gives you a little insight of when they met. It's cute and stress free before next chapter haha.

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks for reading cuties!❤️