Chapter Seventeen

Calum grabbed one of the extra large beach towels out of the trunk of his car, following closely behind Michael down to a deserted part of the beach. Michael had his arms wrapped tightly around his waist. Calum didn't know what was going on with his best friend, but he would sit there and listen to every word before he started to judge him and this situation he's managed to get himself into.

They laid the towel down close to the shore, their shoes sitting in next to them and the dug their feet into the damp sand. Michael was simply staring out on the distance trying to find it in himself to tell Calum everything Jennifer has put him through the past two weeks, although it felt more like a century to Michael. It hasn't been enjoyable. It's been a living hell that feels as if it'll never end. Talking to Troye about it doesn't help. Michael doesn't know Troye well enough yet and even if they're fake boyfriends that doesn't mean Michael wants to put all his trust into the small brunet. Michael needed his best friend. Luke might've come first into Michael's life, but Calum has always shared a special bond with Michael none of the other boys had.

Calum used to be so good at telling how Michael was feeling, but right now it seemed impossible to read him.

"You'll hate me." Michael sighed, his legs were pulled tightly against his chest with his head resting on his knees as he continued looking straight out to the depths of the ocean, watching the waves crash against the shore.

"You don't know that," Calum retorted, placing at the faux blond huddle into himself. "You can't possibly know that, Michael."

"I do, I did something terrible and it go me in this mess. I could've avoided it, but I chose not to. I-I just wanted to protect Luke," Michael sniffled, wiping the tears that started to fall with the back of his hand. "I just made it worse though."

"Michael? What do you mean you wanted to protect Luke?" Calum asked, slightly puzzled about Michale's small confession. He wasn't sure what that was supposed to mean, but he knew it might take a bit of time to get it out of Michael.

"It was either him or myself. They knew he wouldn't have been able to handle this himself, he's such a terrible liar. They knew he'd crumble under pressure." Michael let out a long sigh. Thinking about all of this and finally openly speaking out it was scaring him. The fear of Jennifer finding out he's about to tell Calum all of their dirty secrets they've pilled up inside of him to keep solely to himself.

"I'm confused, Michael. Please tell me what's been going on with you! You're my best friend and I'm worried about you."

Michael took in a deep breath before looking at Calum for the first time since they sat down. He saw the worried expression on his best friends face and it made his heart ache because he's the main cause of his worry. It shouldn't have to be like that. "You can't tell anyone. Especially not Luke, not yet at least."

"Michael–"

"I never cheated on Luke," Michael spat out before he could change his mind. "Jennifer our manager found the leaked photos of mine and Luke's drunk endeavor and put me on the spot about it. She said it was unprofessional to date a band member, y'know thats in the same band as me, even when I told her we had been together long before this band officially started. Jennifer didn't care, she gave me a two options. The band or Luke." Michael couldn't look at Calum as he told him the reality of it all. Kept his gaze locked on the horizon. He could feel Calum's gaze burning into his skull, waiting for him to continue, but Michael didn't want to overwhelm him with all of this information too suddenly.

"You chose the band..." Michael nodded, still not looking up. "But why?"

"I chose the band because it's Luke's dream. This is what he's always wanted. If i had chosen him they would've fired me and found you guys a new guitarist while I sat on the sidelines watching the band go on without me. Luke wouldn't want that, he'd go out of his way and everything and I didn't want that to happen to the three of you. I chose the band and along with it came a beard. Someone I had to show off and tell Luke I cheated on him with when I did absolutely nothing like that. I love Luke too much, I've never once thought about finding someone that wasn't him. I feel absolutely terrible, but I'm doing this to protect Luke you have to understand that."

"They gave you an ultimatum on a band you helped create? What the actual fuck!" Calum roared, he was angry at their management to putting his best friend in this situation to deal with on his own. It's absolutely ridiculous and Calum was ready to give Jennifer a piece of his mind about all of this. He didn't care if it interfered with their contract, he wanted out of it now.

"Calum, you can't tell anyone about this. You can't go yell at Jennifer because then she'll know I told you about the one thing I had to keep to myself. It would be the end of the road for me." Michael mumbled sadly, he loved the band–his best friends– more than anything and en if he could live with being kicked out, it's the last thing Michael wanted to happen to him. Michael wouldn't know how to tell the world he's no longer the guitarist for 5 Seconds of Summer, to tel them it was all because he fell in love with his bandmate.

"Jesus, this is what you've been dealing with of the past two weeks? I'm so sorry I wasn't there for you Michael... My mind was on Luke because I honestly thought you fucked up bad, but you're a pawn in someone's childish game and I'm going to do everything in my power to get you out of this." Calum reassured, pulling his best friend close and tucking him under his arm. They would find a way out of this mess together. Michael would no longer be alone for it and he's glad he broke down and told Calum, he needed it.

////

i just couldn't leave you guys on a cliffhanger for too long omg

what do you think will happen next?

don't forget to comment ;-)

thanks for reading ily guys.