Chapter Twenty-One

[six months ago]

Luke bounced around on stage with his guitar in hand, he was feeling the energy of the crowd and that's when Luke knew for sure being on stage was what he was called to do in life. Sharing these precious and unforgettable moments with his best friends, it's all he'll ever want. It was their last show of their own headlining tour and it'll be good for them to have a break and catch up on sleep, but Luke always dreaded going back home or having to lay around and do nothing when he could be up on stage singing to thousands of people who appreciate music the way he does, they way the band does.

When they neared the end of their final song Luke was still going, he slide over to Michael and grinned widely at his boyfriend on stage, they were both a sweaty mess, but neither of them cared it was just the nature of the shows and they never half-assed it, they went all out till they felt sweat in places you normally don't feel it.

Bounding back over to center stage Luke sang the last lines of their very last show for the tour and it felt so surreal to him that a few weeks ago he was doing the exact same thing, but in a different country. Luke never wanted the good life to end.

"Thanks for having us, we're 5 Seconds of Summer and we hope to see you all very soon! Goodnight San Francisco!" Luke handed off his guitar and waited for his three best friends to join him center stage for the last bow of the tour, the last moments for another six months or even a year. They didn't know, they went where life took them, but even in these last few moments Luke was ready to play more even if it was just him and a guitar, he was ready for it.

The four of them hugged, Michael clinging to Luke for a bit longer. Even over the roar of the crowd Luke could feel Michael's lips right against his ear and the softness of his voice saying, "We did it, babe."

////

"We're taking on the world now." Michael hummed, pulling Luke closer for warmth. They were sat on a beach Luke never took the time to find a name for, but it was close to the Golden Gate Bridge and the moon was up for the night. The soft sound of waves crashing against the shore was soothing and Luke never wanted to leave, it was as if only he and Michael existed at this very moment.

"I love you." Luke said. He snuggled further back into Michael's chest and let the older boy hold him tightly.

They both got down from their concert highs a few hours back and settled on a late night adventure in the beautiful city of San Francisco. Luke had gone about and teased Michael about his pink flip flops he chose to wear when they left the hotel, which resulted in Michael kicking them off and chasing Luke down the beach. They were in their own world when they were together, always keeping the other grounded and not letting their small amounts of fame get to them. It was essential that they didn't let hollywood get to them, they wanted to stay themselves so people knew them as who they are not who they are portrayed to be.

"I'll always love you," Michael replied, kissing Luke's temple, then lightly behind his ear. "Till death do us part." Michael breathed against his skin, sending a tiny shivers down the blonds spine before he relaxed deeper into Michael's hold. Luke was putty in Michael's hands.

"We're not married," Luke giggled, turing his head to the right to look Michael in the eye. "Even though the idea of being yours forever is my favorite thing to imagine."

Michael kissed Luke on the cheek, happy with the angle the blond is now turned to. "One day when we're not as young as we are now, we'll have an apartment in the city or a condo in the suburbs. We'll have a dog as our first child. We'll be friends with our neighbors and go out for drinks with them on weekends–assuming Ashton and Calum live next door. We'll have a weekly grocery list and you'll always forget at least four items off of it. We'll have the world, but most importantly we'll have each other."

Luke looked at Michael with stars in his eyes, and Michael looked at Luke like he was the sun, the moon, and the stars,  they were each others everything. Wherever one went, the other followed, it's been that way since they were kids and they'll be the same way come 50 years.

"I can't imagine having a normal life after the life we have now." Luke admitted, looking back out at the ocean and watching the tide crash onto land and slowly start to drift back. Luke was mesmerized by the beauty of nature, if he wasn't traveling so much he'd much rather sit outside and soak in the sun and breathe in the fresh air around him. Tour buses weren't his cup of tea.

"Strangely enough I think about it too much. You like to consume my every thought, you should really stop the, you know?" Michael said jokingly, earning a quick jab to the side from Luke.

"You're such a sap," Luke shook his head in disbelief, chuckling softly to himself. "I can't believe the Michael Gordon Clifford is the sappy romantic one."

"Too bad you love me."

"It is pretty unfortunate."

"Shut up." Michael rolled his eyes.

"Why don't you make me?"

"Is this an open invitation?" Luke nodded, letting Michael flip them over letting Luke's body collapse to the sand beneath them. "I didn't quite hear you." Michael let his lips barely ghost over Luke's, letting the blond quickly move his head to catch Michael's lips in a heated kiss, but Michael was too fast and dodged the kiss. Luke earned a cheeky grin from the faux redhead above him, making him grumble in annoyance.

"Fucking kiss me Mikey," Luke whined. "I need you to kiss me."

And that's exactly what Michael did.

////

this is a very important flashback ok? ok.

please comment! I know not everyone likes the flashbacks, but they're important to the storyline.

thanks to my homie malumdictionary for some inspiration towards this<3

thanks for reading guys!!!!