Chapter Twenty-Nine

"Okay, I bought two pints half-baked, two pints of chocolate fudge brownie, and a six pack of beer I think we're good for the night." Luke said, collapsing on the couch and digging into his pint of ice cream before Michael even had a chance to sit down beside the blond.

Michael wasn't sure if Luke genuinely didn't hear himself when he called Michael babe over the phone or if it was simply an old habit the blond hadn't quite gotten rid of. Michael wanted to say it was the first, but there really wasn't a way to know unless he asked and there was no way he was willingly putting himself in that situation.

Michael grabbed the container of ice cream labeled half-baked and slowly sat down next to Luke on the couch, leaving a good foot of space between the two. For the first time in forever Michael felt awkward around the boy who he's he's known for over a decade.

Michael wanted a fairytale ending in life, wanting a stereotypical wedding with Luke standing right next to him, shoving cake into the blonds face at the wedding reception. Michael wanted them to purchase a home together, wanted to raise a family with the one person he's only loved. Michael wanted a few dogs and maybe a cat. But in the end Michael couldn't have any of those things until he had Luke back. There wouldn't be a happy ending to his fairytale unless Luke was back with him.

"It really sucks, doesn't it?" Luke asked after the silence between them became too much.

"What does?" Michael wearily asked, looking at Luke from the corner of his eye.

"Being cheated on. "Luke stated, shrugging his shoulders as if it was nothing. Michael held his breath as Luke continued, not knowing exactly where the blond was going with this. "I think I went through fifteen pints of ice cream when you broke my heart. Like, I don't want to say it was karma, but it was definitely karma."

"Oh." Was the only thing Michael could say. He wanted so badly to just pull Luke in for a kiss and tell him the past month has been a lie. That Troye being caught with Connor wasn't the end of the world for him, that he didn't give a fuck, but every word and sentence he's constructed in his head wouldn't come out the way he wanted once he started speaking.

"Sorry if that sounded harsh, I just want you to know I'm trying. Sitting here with you right now helping you get over the guy you fell for while we were together, wasn't something I thought would ever happen, but if we're not lovers we're best friends and I'll always be here when you need me."

Michael had tears starting to form in his eyes and before he knew it they started to spill down his cheeks. The last thing Michael wanted was to cry in front of Luke, especially when Luke thought it was over Troye and not the mess he's gotten himself into.

"Oh, Michael," Luke sighed, reaching out for the faux blond to hold him out of pure instinct. "C'mere... He's not worth crying over."

Michael shook his head before standing up and rushing out of the room and coming back a moment later with his acoustic guitar in hand. The tears were still falling, leaving tears stains down his cheeks, but Michael didn't care. Michael wasn't going to lose his once chance to sing that song for Luke while they were alone, he had to do it before he chickened out. Even if he's at his absolute worst.

Michael didn't know how this would end. If Luke would storm out of here and never speak to him again or if Luke would sit in silence stunned by the song and wonder exactly what was happening, what exactly Michael was trying to convey.

"Why do you have your guitar?" Luke asked, confused at Michaels tactics right now. The faux blond was practically sobbing, but went off to fetch his guitar anyway. It was confusing Luke beyond belief.

"Uh," Michael sniffled, rubbing his arm against his nose. "I wrote something you need to hear." Luke nodded, still confused, but continued watching Michael intently.