Chapter 37 - Easter break

Picture of Ethan

Ethan's POV

Today was the Thursday before the Easter Holidays began. Lauren was booked in this afternoon at 3pm to have her procedure done. We'd not really discussed it since she made her mind up on Friday night other than letting me know about her appointment. We thought it'd be best for her to have a rest day on Good Friday to recover as she was working on Saturday. Sunday was Easter so all the shops were closed.

She went off happily to Uni this morning, she didn't appear any different. She mentioned she had a busy day given a few assignments were due shortly and she was also giving Elle a hand with some stuff in between classes. I told her I'd pick her up at 2pm from outside the front of the library.

We were already short staffed today. A few guys had taken the day day off so they had almost a week off work given all the public holidays in between. Of all days we were actually really very busy. It was close to 2pm when I got an important phone call from a major client who'd jumped ship a few months back. He called to apologise for leaving and explained the quality of work they'd received was not up to their standards and that they were now accepting our quote and coming back to us as clients. I spent a little too long on the phone. When I hung up I realised it was 215pm. I quickly called Lauren to let her know I got held up and I was leaving right now.

As I got up to leave racing out towards my car I reminded Nat that I wouldn't be back until Saturday and asked her to lock up. I ran into my car and turned on the engine ready to take off. But the engine was dead. The battery was completely flat. I ran back into the office and asked to borrow Nat's car but her she was getting new tyres this arvo and they picked it up 30 minutes ago.

Fuck!!!!

I called Lauren and explained the situation she just remained silent on the phone. After 30 seconds she spoke. "Ethan, I'll just jump in a cab ok!" She hung up. In fact she must have blocked me or something because I just couldn't get through.

I was so frustrated. I called the NRMA but the timeframe of them getting to me was around 90 minutes. I went back into my office and continued with my work until a serviceman came to fix my car.

                  ***********************

Lauren's POV

Why do I feel like I just don't matter enough. I know he tried to get here but I don't know it just feels like we can't make it without so much effort. Is it worth it?

I was sitting inside the reception lounge of the clinic. My name had been called out as there'd been a discrepancy on my medicare card and the details I had provided. Apparently my birthday was listed as incorrect.

I then had to call Medicare and verify all my details. The lady on the phone was really quite condescending asking me if that was really my birthday. Grrr, did I really have to go through this right now. I was causing a bit of unwanted attention. There were so many couples and girls with their friends inside the waiting room. I was the only person who was here on their own.

We got all the details sorted then I waited another hour. Still no sign of Ethan!! I was on my phone reading one of my favourite authors books on wattpad 'Perfect Redemption' when my name was finally called out. I was showed into a room and told to hop up onto the bed as they needed to do an utlra sound then discuss issues and risks that can arise after the procedure. My heart was pounding so hard I just wanted everything to be done with. Being here on my own was making things seem much worse.

I was sent back outside again then waited another 15 minutes. I was called into another room and then the procedure took place. I woke up a little groggy and was asked to sit in a waiting area for an hour until they check if the procedure was successful. Still no Ethan.