Chapter 4

Niall's POV

As my feet lead me through the wooded forest and my heart pound in my chest, I found myself forgetting about my stresses. I forgot about my job and I forgot about nearly everything else and just ran.

If it weren't for my job then I would have stayed home on my day off and ordered a large pizza to eat by myself. But, if I didn't want to get shot or if I need to chase down some law breaker, I needed to stay in shape. That lead me to going for a seven mile run outside. It did help me to relax a little in its own way. It helped me to set aside all the worry of being a police officer brought me.

I don't understand how my dad has done this for so many years. I didn't think I would have made it out of the police academy because of how hard it was. The only reason why I stayed was because my roommate in the sleeping quarters and me had fun at night. It wasn't anything serious, but it was nice to know there were other gay guys that were going to be on the force. However, Harry Styles and his lanky form didn't make it to graduation because it got too hard. I personally think it was the fact we had our shooting lesson with dummies that looked actually people with fake blood. I had nightmares after that unit, but I didn't have Harry there to hold me because he left. I still talk to him, but it's just not the same and it only brings back memories of what we actually did.

I continued to run just a little harder to get those thoughts out of my mind. I never wanted to be that person, I never ever did. That person that can't control the urge to go to an attractive man. The one who will submit to anything and everything just because I want to know what it's like to be wanted. To be desired, to be the one to make someone go over the edge. But I really just wanted someone to love me. I know Harry didn't love me after all, it was just for personal pleasure of pure boredom. I just look forward to the day I can have someone that uses what we did together to show me that they loved me.

My feet seemed to tell me to stop once I got back to the community park area that I had begun in. I slowed down to a jog then walked. My shirt that said I was in the police department was soaked with sweat and my legs felt like wet noodles. I took out my phone to check the time and saw that I literally ran my whole morning away. It was nearly one in the afternoon and I had gotten to the park at nine this morning. I took my shirt off and wiped my sweat off my face then went to sit on the grass to stretch out a little bit. Just when I sat down, my phone started ringing.

"Hello?" I answered the phone. I sat down in the grass and looked around at the people walking around the park that was in the heart of Bradford.

"Niall, we need you to fill in tonight for a drive along. The guy I had scheduled to come with me, his wife went into labor this morning with twins so obviously he won't be able to work tonight." Liam spoke up. I sighed and nodded to myself thinking that maybe this will help me get used to my job.

"Yeah, I'll do it. Can we just make it so we don't arrest anything?" I asked. That just caused him to laugh at me then tell me he would see me at the station tonight at eight. I finished stretching out then put my shirt back on.

I was still kind of feeling a bit of a buzz from my run so I decided to stay out a little longer than just going back home. I found myself heading to a nice smoothie place that I liked to go to when I finished working out. There were a few people in there that looked like they had just worked out as well. One young girl gave me a small smile that I returned to her, but continued to go order a drink.

Once I had my strawberry and banana smoothie, I went to sit a a table that was close to the window so I could look out at all the people that were walking by. I find it interesting to watch people sometimes. It makes me wonder why people do the rings they do or if makes me question if I do that very thing myself. I also enjoy when there's a dog that goes by because dogs are the best, but people watching is a strange little habit of mine.