Chapter 22

Niall's POV

"I don't care where you go, just leave me alone for an hour or two so I can get some of these statements filed without you telling me how to do my job." Greg huffed at me after I asked him if Liam and I could take a break from following him around to get some lunch. I looked at my older brother and wanted him to look at me so he could see me punch him. Liam, however, just pulled me by the hand to his cop car before anything else could happen.

Since last night, tension between my brother and I had been running pretty high. He treated Zayn pretty shitty for reasons that I wasn't sure of. He just gave him a cold stare the whole time we were eating and adding rude remarks about anything Zayn would say. Of course, Zayn wouldn't talk unless he was asked something by Denise or Theo, but even then Greg would give a comment under his breath about Zayn suggesting he was gay or part of a gang or going to steal something from their house. After I lied for Zayn when he was asked about his occupation, Greg said he would go make sure Zayn found the bathroom alright, but Zayn came back to the table looking pale. For the rest of the night, Zayn didn't speak to me or even look at me. It really worried me that something changed in his head. The thought of Greg telling Zayn something about me seemed more logical, but I couldn't think of what Greg could have told him about me that would have off set my boyfriend. The only thing he could have told Zayn was the time he walked in on me snogging one of my best friends when I was seventeen, but that's nothing for Zayn not to speak to me about. Greg didn't even care that he saw that, he just figured I was experimenting and got over it. Even when we got home Zayn took a really long shower and I just fell asleep waiting for him to get out so I didn't talk to him. Then this morning, he was still asleep when I left so I didn't get to talk to him then either. The only thing I could do was leave him a note saying I loved him and I'd be home a little later because investigating would take longer today.

"Don't be too mad at him. He's probably just used to treating you like his baby brother and doesn't realize you grew up. My sisters do the same exact thing to me sometimes, especially when I told them I wanted to be a cop." Laim told me after we got in the car. I looked at him and saw he was trying to make me feel better. It wasn't really working, but it was at least the thought that counted.

"It's not that, Liam. He just thinks he can treat me however when he feels like it because he's better than me. He's the favorite son, got married, has a family and loves doing the family job. He's better than me and he knows it." I told Liam then looked away. Liam placed his hand on my thigh and gave it a small squeeze.

"If it means anything, I like you better than Greg or your dad. Both of them take everything too seriously and miss the fun. You'll be able to resign soon because I know your dad won't want to watch you be unhappy for the rest of your life. Most parents wouldn't want that. You're also a better man than your brother." Liam said before driving off down the street to get to some place to eat. He asked me where I wanted to go, but I told him just to find a place with macaroni and cheese that way I can eat my feelings. And I wonder why I have such a fat arse.

We got to some café and went in. Liam was trying to get me to smile after we got our food by telling me stories of times he was a dork or an idiot. I would laugh at little, but I really just wanted to go home and get Zayn to wrap his arms around me in that protective way that aways makes me feel better. I want him to tell me he loves me and want him to kiss it better. I just wanted my Zayn and the moments we share that I know to most people don't look like much, but to us they're everything.

"Niall, I've known you for a short time, but I know how easily you can shake stuff like this off. It's something that I've always liked about you." Liam said to me, a small blush on his cheeks. I laughed and was able to keep a small smile on my face this time. He reached over and placed his hand in mine. It was a friendly touch that made me feel a bit better, but I knew if I got home to Zayn I would be so much better. Unfortunately for me, I still had to go back to work after this.