Chapter 12

Niall's POV

My fingers drummed against the styrofoam cup that was holding my smoothie. My eyes stayed looking out the window with a hope that maybe I would see Zayn just like the other time was was here on my day off. It had been two weeks since he left and I keep replaying the whole situation in my head over and over again. I pick out what I could have done differently. I pick out what I could have done more. I could have chased after him even though I wasn't wearing shoes. I could have gone to his flat once I got off work. I could have just held him tightly from leaving. I did nothing though. Instead, I just had a thought in my head that I probably should let him go that way he didn't feel like he was a hostage.

I thought he was actually opening up to me. He told me so much, he even came to me when he had his first dream after not having one in years. I went through the sketch book and tried to find something in there that would tell me more about him. It told me allot, but nothing more than I already knew. He was broken. He was loosing his mind. He was loosing that part of his brain that told him he was human. When I walked out of the bathroom I knew something was wrong with him. Those perfect brown eyes of his glossed over and his face looks like he wasn't fully there with me. I didn't mean to snap at him when he reached for my belt, I just was shocked by the action. However, when I took a moment to watch him come out of that trance, I understood he was doing it for a reason. It wasn't just some advance he made on me, it was with a purpose to earn something.

"Niall?" I soft feminine voice spoke. I looked over and it was the same girl I had met here last time. Part of me hoped Zayn would show up just like last time too, but I had a feeling that wasn't what today held.

"Jade... I'm so sorry I didn't text you ever or call you. You must think I'm a proper arse." I told the tan skinned girl that with a sadness, but a fake charm as well. She seemed to read right through it and reached her hand to rest on my shoulder. I nodded to the open chair across from me which she took immediately.

"I didn't expect you to actually contact me in any way. You're a busy man. Anyway, what has you siting here looking out the window like you're in a bad soap opera?" She asked me. I managed a chuckle and to look at her proud smile that she tried to cover up by taking a sip of her drink.

"Just allot on my mind. I'm too emotionally invested to a case type thing and it's just tearing me up." I told her. She nodded like I could keep talking if I wanted to, but I didn't. Jade sighed and looked out the window before she looked at me with a very caring look that also showed just how strong of a woman she was.

"You can tell me what it's about if you're allowed to. It always good to get things off your chest." She offered. I had to crack a smile because I probably had her thinking this was a murder or something big that I had to deal with. This wasn't even a real case I was worried about. It was Zayn and that he isn't sane enough anymore to stop living the way he has been even after he supposedly got jumped for no reason. I'm no even sure what happened that night at all, but I know that it was probably the most horrible thing I've seen in my life.

"There's this guy, he's a prostitute pretty much. I had found him a little bit away from the station. He was beaten badly and naked. It's just hard for me because I had met him before that day. Not properly, but I had seen him and conversed with him. Then I find him like that, it makes it hard to detach from it. I offered my help, but he didn't take it. He just went right back to his life." I told her, leaving out the parts that Zayn actually stayed with me and let me hold him and vice-versa. We shared allot in the time we spent together, but that was only for us both to know because I would be in more trouble than I can imagine if I were to just say what he had experienced.

"Sometimes trauma done to a person is handled differently. For him, he could have gone through this before and wasn't effected by it. Or, he was but he's been living the way he has been for too long to find a way of changing it. It's hard to understand, but just put yourself where he is. It would be like you leaving the police force, moving out of your house and going to live in China in a matter of minutes. That would be impossible for you to adjust so just imagine him. Humans are wonderful in wanting to find a schedule. He found one just like you did. He can't change it as easily as you see it is to." She told me and it actually helped me a little more in not classifying Zayn as insane or loosing his mind. He was just stubborn.