Chapter 9

Zayn's POV

"Zayn, can you wake up for a few minutes? I promise you can go back to sleep if you want." A soft Irish voice whispered into my sleeping mind, breaking me away from its peace. I opened my eyes and looked at Niall, but immediately jumped away from him and got out of the soft bed when I saw he was in his police uniform. My heart thumped heavily and I knew that the only reason he brought me back was to arrest me. If I was asleep at all before, I was definitely now awake and ready to make a run for it or find some nice shoelaces to end this pointless life I live.

Niall looked down at what he was wearing then suddenly seemed to realize why I was so freaked out. He walked over to me, but I just backed up against the wall just a little more. Even if he looks gentle and like he couldn't hurt a fly, he was still a police officer and I knew he could easily put me in a place I don't want to go for doing a thing I don't necessarily want to do anymore.

"Zayn, I'm still me. I'm not going to do anything, I promise. This is just my work clothes. I was just waking you up to see if you wanted me to make you breakfast before I leave to work or if you wanted to just find something in there." Niall said softly. I let out a deep breath then went to sit back down on the bed. Niall sat next to me, but he left a large space between us.

"You're afraid of me?" Niall asked me in a much too sweet tone that made my hurt actually hurt because of it. I looked at him and saw that he didn't want to be in that uniform but something seemed to be making him. I could tell it wasn't his own passion for the job. I could oddly relate to that with my own job.

"Just afraid you'll take me to jail. I guess it's just the uniform I'm afraid of. Not the man in it. I think he's nice enough." I said softly, kind of getting Niall to blush and giggle. It lightened the mood between us, making it feel like that great barrier we had between us was wanting to fall in the worst way possible.

"Just nice enough? I have a feeling you're not used to giving people compliments." Niall giggled to me. Scoot closer to the pillows on the bed and looked over him. I may not like the uniform, but it definitely looked good on him. Or maybe he just made it look good. Either way I could tell he was hiding seem lean muscle under there that I was a little curious about it. I shook my head to rid those thoughts because I've never wanted a single person in my life and I won't start now. Especially with a fucking police officer.

"So, I'll be home at six tonight. I'm starting to get a regular schedule like everyone else has, but I might get called to the night patrol. If that happens, I'll call the phone here to tell you. This is your house for as long as you want to stay." Niall said, but there was a tone in his voice that was pretty much saying he would be sad if I left. I nodded to him, but made sure that he say in my eyes I wasn't leaving. Who am I kidding. I'd be crazy to pass up a flat full of food and a television and such nice things I can only get if I practically sold my soul to some man or woman.

"Are you going to make breakfast or can I go back to sleep?" I asked Niall, bumping his shoulder with my own. He blushed and curled up on himself just a little. It was cute to see that because his uniform is supposed to show he's this tough man, but seeing him blush and curl up on him in a bashful way shows me more to him. He was cute, not tough. Those are my only thoughts about him as of right now.

"That depends on what you want. I need to leave in a few minute, but I'm a great cook and can make anything pretty fast." He offered. I looked back at the nice pillow and thought of how sore my head was. That kind of answered my question. So, I flopped back on the bed, still being  careful of my head, and pulled the blankets up over me. Niall giggled at me and got of the bed. I watched him as he walked out the door of the guest room and closed the door behind him.