Chapter 17

Niall's POV

I could still feel my lips buzzing from the kiss that Zayn give me just before leaving to work. I always found it so interesting that he didn't know what his feelings were, but I could feel he was more than happy to kiss me. That's special in itself because Zayn hasn't always been open to kissing because of his past but I feel like he may feel something more when he kisses me. He probably doesn't know what he's really feeling, but I know we both feel something. I just can't wait until we can get to be more than whatever we are now.

What we did yesterday made me feel so many different feelings for him that it was impossible to separate them. It may not have been something that shared a lot of sweet nothings being whispered as we did it or romantic ways to get us both in the mood, but it still held so much meaning. I could tell Zayn liked the way he was in control of what we were doing. I felt the way he was nervous because he was feeling so many things that he had never felt before. Everything we did was a good way to tell us both we could move on from something. For Zayn, it was that he could move on from his rough past and for me it was that extra push that told me I could move on from the boyish thoughts that told me I would never have something so special with anyone. There was nothing about what we did that I would have changed or even wanted to change. To me, it was perfect because it showed Zayn that there was something beautiful that could be made from his broken rubble.

I walked into the station and signed myself in for work at the front desk. I could hear a commotion going on in the back so I walked around to see what was going on. Greg was yelling about something as people laughed and congratulated him over something. My dad was standing off to the side just proudly looking at my brother. All I knew was it was going to be something big that I couldn't ever compete with.

"Niall! Greg is going to be on detective work for a while." Liam came over to tell me right when he saw me. The way he was telling me this was like he wanted to warn me that I would be dealing with that today. I honestly think he's the only person that really knows what I have to deal with everyday.

I just went over to my desk to see what files would be there for me to work on today. Everyone around me calmed down from their excitement after a while, but I could only think of what amazing things I could do today that would amount up to being moved to a detective position. I came up with nothing other than becoming Batman and protecting Bradford. Liam stayed by my desk for the most of the day trying to make me feel better but also keeping people away from me that kept asking if I was going to be as great as my brother is.

"Payne, Horan! Get out there and do some traffic stops." My dad yelled from his office. Liam and I jumped up and got our belts on. Both of us laughed at how stupid we looked because we were whipped by the chief. We ran out to Liam police car, but both were joking about how we would never be moved up to any important position because we were both idiots that were constantly being stuck doing traffic stops.

We drove around for a few boring hours not really doing anything at all. The one thing we did do was pull over a man that was speeding and gave him a ticket. After that we both decided to take a break and get some lunch. We both knew that when you're looking for trouble then there won't be any. So we drove up to this new little bakery that I hadn't really seen before. It must have been fairly new because Liam and I had driven this area for a while now.

The second we walked in, the overwhelming smell of baked goods filled my nose. My stomach seemed to intensify my hunger at the smell. All I knew was if the food was a good as it smelt then I would have to bring Zayn here some time soon. However, some of my hunger left when I saw who was at the cash register.

"Harry?" I said quietly. All of the memories we had at the police academy flew right back into my mind. His green eyes that always got me to do anything he wanted looked up at me. A dimple filled smile that used to make me feel weak for him broke across his face. But the difference of looking at him now was just looking at a man. He wasn't anything that I wanted anymore. Zayn was the man I wanted to hold me at night now and he was the one that I wanted to touch me in such intimate ways.