Chapter 24

Niall's POV

The second I got to the active crime scene, my dad came running over with a bullet proof vest. He updated me on what was going on. Apparently, there were a total of six gunmen in the building. There were a few hostages in the building, and the casualties weren't accounted for at all. This was over drugs which had been confirmed by a man that lived in one of the flats in the building. I took in the scene around the building and saw there were at least then police cars, one big unit in head to toe bulletproof clothes and a few dogs that were in the unit. It was a pretty crazy scene, but I just took it in and looked at my dad to see what other orders were needed. He looked over my face and reached out to touch my puffy eyes from crying over Zayn.

"Are you well enough to be here?" He asked me. I nodded and put on my vest he had given me. I made sure my safety was off my gun and I had it fully loaded before walking over to get behind one of the cop cars that had the door open as a shield. I just stood there and took in the building in front of us, trying to think of how to get in there to stop this. We had the building visibly surrounded, but I didn't see how it would work to get into the place to help whoever was a hostage.

"Niall, back lines!" I heard my dad yell. I rolled my eyes because of course he would put me in the back lines of anything. Even if I didn't like my job, I still wanted to be up front in it to do my best, not placed in the back where everyone that is too stupid to use a gun is put. I walked back to the group of officers that were literally just standing and talking. There was nothing else going on but that. I made eye contact with Liam and tried to look away, but his gaze on me was so intense that I couldn't look away. He mumbled something to the group of men that were talking before he pulled me away from most of the crazy stuff that was happening.

"I need to talk to you. It's... It's getting harder for me to, like hide it and I just need you to listen." Liam started. I leaned against one of the cars and looked at my friend that was nervously playing with a loose string on his bulletproof vest. I reached out to make sure there wasn't a hole or a weak spot right there. I was right that there was and automatically took my vest off to give it to him. I knew my dad would send him in over me, so having a vest wasn't going to help me in anyway. Plus, bullets always have a way of finding the hole in your armor before you even know it's there.

"Take this one. I'll be fine." I took Liam. He hesitated but took it anyway. I got the one off him that had a hole in it and threw it in the police car that I had been leaning on. I shut the door to it and looked back at Liam who was watching me like he was was really afraid to say what he pulled me over here to say. I was just trying to keep myself together because I was now just mad that Zayn would think of just leaving like he did instead of just talking to me about why he wanted to leave. He told me he didn't want me to get in trouble, but he doesn't know that I would literally walk through hell and back for him. Liam cleared his throat and nervously bounced back and forth on the feet before he looked up at me.

"What do you see when you look at me?" He asked me. His question kind of caught me off guard because I never really saw anything when I looked at any man other than Zayn. Before I looked at Harry and saw an object that I lusted for. Then I looked at Zayn and saw his heart was so pure even though his mind was so broken. With him, I saw the man I loved more than there are stars in the whole outer space.

"I see a really strong man that is nice to me and enjoys what he does when he gets to help. You also have really intimidating muscles." I told him with a small smile. He smiled at me and took one of my hands in his kind of sweaty one. I wanted to laugh because I guess just having the whole situation around us was making him nervous. I gave his hand a squeeze, hoping he would feel how calm I was feeling.

"I just... I like you a lot, Niall. Before you came and it was just me being a rookie, I really didn't know what it was like to have fun while working. I didn't know it was possible to enjoy spending time with someone while doing this job. You're an incredible man that I can't help but admire. You're beautiful and just perfect. Sorry if this is weird or whatever because you're probably not gay, but I just couldn't spend another second with you without you knowing that I really care about you." Liam finished, but my mouth had fallen open halfway through his little confession. I didn't really see any signs that he gave me that would show he felt this way. I just thought he was a friendly guy while my heart was farther occupied with Zayn. Even now, my heart still wants Zayn and wants what he gave me because no one will ever be like that again.