Chapter 6

Niall's POV

"Niall, we had a robbery! You can't freeze up like that!" My dad yelled at me. I sat back in the old wooden chair in his office and wished that I could become part of the chair to get away from how angry my father was.

"It was a sixteen year old kid that tried to get into a cash register using his skateboard. I didn't freeze up. I was assessing the situation before I acted. Would you like for me and Liam to both get our heads bashed in with a skateboard?" I asked my dad back. He groaned and plopped down in his own chair. His hands went to his gray hair and he didn't even look at me.

"You should be willing to take a hit from a skateboard, Niall. That's your job; to put yourself at risk first for the safety of others." He said slowly, looking up at me. The situation wasn't as bad as he was making it seem. Liam and I got a call about a robbery so we went in and saw a kid swinging his skateboard around if you got close to him. Liam and I both "froze up" I guess, but it was just to see if the kid would give. However, Liam took a hit to the stomach with the skateboard in the end while I still stood there. Only when the kid was trying to run away did I tackle him and cuff him.

"My job is to keep people like him off the streets. I did that by tackling him and arresting him. Now if you excuse me, I need to go get ice on my knee that I had major surgery on and now it's messed up again." I said, pushing myself out of the chair and limping to the door. My dad sighed but didn't say anything to me as I left. I honestly should quit now that way I can't be even more of an embarrassment to him. The only reason I am a police officer is to make him proud and so far it doesn't seem to be working.

I got to the small break room we had and got some ice in a bag to put on my knee. I pulled up my pants to see if had a nasty bruse already starting to form. The whole area was swollen and looked like I would need to see a doctor again about it to make sure it was okay. I didn't really care about that right now and just sat back in my chair as I put ice on it. After a few minutes of being alone, Liam limped in too with ice on his stomach where he got hit.

"We're a mess. How are you doing?" He asked me with a soft chuckle. He sat in the chair I was using to prop up my leg with, but the second he sat down he place my leg back on his own legs.

"I'm fine. I'm sorry I wasn't allot of help to you today. I shouldn't have just stood there." I said quietly. Liam just laughed and placed his hand on my ankle. I just felt too angry at myself. At first I felt like I did all I could do to help the situation. Then I got screamed at by my dad and I feel like I was literally the worst person in this whole entire world.

"Niall, stop beating yourself up about it. It was my fault I got hit with the stupid skateboard because I thought he would stop swinging it if a cop was close to him. Once I was down, you did your job wonderfully. Your dad is just being hard on you because he doesn't know the whole situation. We both do and I'm proud of what you did." Liam told me kindly. I just shrugged and sat there a little longer looking at the ice on my knee.

"Payne, Horan! We need you both on a drive through this neighborhood. Once you get to a break, go to the lower side again and be back up here. Horan, you have some papers to file for me." One of the guys that's a jerk to me said. Liam nodded but didn't attempt on getting up yet. The other officer rolled his eyes at us and reminded me that he had stuff for me to do for him because I'm a rookie.

"You'll get more respect the more you do on the job. Even for a rookie, I think you're not worth picking on. Are you mended enough to go catch some more bad guys?" Liam asked me as he stood. I just got up and took the ice off my knee. Liam pat my back and kept his hand rested on my back as we both limped our way out to the police car. My dad looked at me from where he was standing looking over someone's report that just got filed. He nodded to me like he was apologizing to me for being so hard on me. I just kept going and went right out the doors of the police station.