Chapter Twenty Two: Long Live

We were the Kings and the Queen

And they read off our names

The night you danced like you knew our lives

Would never be the same

You held your head like a hero

On a history book page

It was the end of a decade

But the start of an age

~"Long Live" by Taylor Swift

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not edited (but what do you expect?)

Chapter Twenty Two: Long Live

It was finally here. Graduation day. In a few hours, my friends and I would be free of the hell also known as high school. Second semester has flown by like nobody's business, and it was time. We'd have the summer before we headed off to different schools, to new beginnings. For me and Ellie it was GSU (Georgia Southern University). For Seth and Everett (who for some reason ended up picking the same school), were headed for UCLA. It was odd that the two of them would be going to the same school because at the beginning of the year, but since Everett and I started dating, they started getting along. Not to forget Evie, she was planning to go to UTSA and stay in town (it also happened to be where my brother was transferring to). Mark was planning to stay in San Antonio and go to the local community college so he could stay near his mom.

In terms of graduation, all of the girls had decided to come over to my house to get ready together. I also invited Heather, because both her and I had become friends the past couple of months at school. As all the girls were getting ready, Ellie suddenly stopped what she was in the middle what she was doing (which happened to be braiding my hair).

"Guys," she said, with a look of awe on her face, "We made it out. We finally made it out." The rest of laughed at her sudden remark and Evie threw one of the pillows off of my bed at her.

"You're just now realizing that goofball?" Evie said, and went back to applying her eye shadow.

"It's just weird," Ellie started, as she continued to braid my hair, "I just never imagined it would end up like this."

"How so?" I asked. I was also doing my makeup, and was applying a light blush.

"I honestly thought by the time high school ended Evie would be my only friend," she said, finishing the braid and moving to sit beside me on the floor. Heather was on the other side of me a few feet away, curling her hair. "But then I met people like you and Seth, and from you Everett and Heather."

"Well, I'm glad I moved here and met all of you," I said, and all of the girls hummed in agreement. For the rest of the time that we were getting ready, we all chatted about nothing, and once we were done, I was stunned at how gorgeous my friends were. They all were dolled up with beautiful dresses, and I was amazed that I got to call these lovely ladies my friends. The dress I was wearing was a bright blue collar, with a cut out type halter neck. It was tight until the waist where it flared out until above my knees where it cut off. I ended up going for a pair of white platform pumps, because I felt like today was a good day to wear heels. Part of my hair was in a crown braid, the rest of it curled and falling down my shoulders.

Once we were all ready to go, we walked downstairs to find my parents standing in the living room along with Landon sitting on the couch playing on his phone. He had finished his last final the morning before and had gotten in last night.