Chapter Three: Ain't it Fun

Ain't it fun living in the real world?

Ain't it good being all alone?

~"Ain't it Fun" by Paramore

Chapter Three: Ain't it Fun

    I woke up the day after the dinner at Everett’s house in a crappy mood. And why? Not only was it Monday, but since the day before I gave Everett my number when we became friends, he had been texting me all night trying to annoy me. That idiot, I thought to myself before hopping in the shower. When I got out, I fish-tail braided my hair, put on makeup, and got dressed. I picked out a white ¾ sleeve sweater, blue denim shorts, and dark red vans. I added a black beanie and silver key shaped necklace, and I was ready. I entered our spacious kitchen to find a note from my father sitting on my backpack.

    Kennedy, I’m sorry to leave without telling you, but your mother is having some problems at work and needs my assistance. I had a lovely time with you last night and miss being able to spend time with my little girl. Love you, Dad

    Of course, the day after we spend time together, he finds someone more important to hang out with. I grabbed a Clif bar and an iced coffee before heading out to my car. I was halfway down the driveway when I got a text from Seth.

Hey, how did the date go with Mark?

Amazing. Can’t wait to see him :D

I put on my sunglasses, plugged my IPhone into the my car, and blasted music. I was listening to “Classic” by MKTO. when I pulled into the school parking lot. I hopped out, and I realized today was going to be a hot one. I entered the school doors, seeing Everett talking to his friends. I kept my head down, hoping he wouldn’t notice me, but that didn’t happen. The minute I walked past him, he called me out.

“Kenna!” he called, hoping I would respond.

“Don’t call me ‘Kenna,’” I replied, walking over to him.

“Isn’t someone a little sassy this morning?” he exclaimed, and then lowered his voice before saying, “Is it your time of the month?”

Now I was really pissed. “You’re an asshole,” I replied, walking away.

“And my friends, that answers our question!” Everett announced. “Kennedy Everson is on her period!”

I was completely embarrassed, and went back out the school doors, to my car. I sat in the driver’s seat, trying to decide whether I should go back or ditch. When I had a rough time at school in California, I just went to the beach to clear my head. When I decided the best thing was to go in, I had already missed first period. I ran in, heading to my second period- Algebra. The one of the only of  two classes I have with Everett. I made it just before the bell rang, and our teacher- Mr. Black, told me to come talk to him at his desk.

“Is there a problem?” I asked, curious.

“Well, quite the opposite. I’ve been looking through your student file, and your test scores are impressive. I was going to ask if you could help me out with something?” he asked. Mr Black was in his late twenties, and was one of the cooler teachers at this school.