Chapter Fifteen: Chasing Cars

If I lay here

If I just lay here

Would you lie with me

And just forget the world?

Forget what we're told

Before we get too old

Show me a garden

That's bursting into life

~”Chasing Cars” by Snow Patrol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter Fifteen: Chasing Cars

I woke up the next Monday to heavy eyelids and a headache. My head buzzed, making me take my time getting up as my alarm blared in the background. It was the first day going back to school, which meant my days of sleeping in were over. I groaned before pulling myself out of bed and trudging to the bathroom.

After taking a quick shower, I quickly pulled on a set of clothes consisting of: a turquoise cropped sweater, ripped denim skinny jeans, and black vans. I fishtail braided my hair before putting on a black beanie. I also added black rose stud earrings and an owl necklace. As I made my way downstairs into the kitchen, I remembered I had to be home right after school to take Charlotte to the airport for her flight home. She was currently sound asleep in the guest room, so I decided to say my goodbyes later.

As I heated up a breakfast sandwich and grabbed a bottle of orange juice. When my sandwich was done cooking, I grabbed my bag, before heading out the front door towards my car. The weather was still considerably nice here in Texas- average of sixties and seventies. Since I lived in California before this, I had never experienced snow on Christmas, but that was going to change this year.

My mother had called the night before to inform me that we would be spend our Christmas and New Years at  Mark and Cindy’s cabin in the mountains of Colorado. I was excited because I’d never really experienced snow before, so a change in scenery would be amazing.

As I started my car, I plugged my IPhone, and the song “Centuries” by Fall Out Boy came blasting through the speakers. I sang along as I drove, and once I got there, I hopped out, preparing myself for the hell of all hells- school.

As I entered the main corridor, I took a left, to see Everett texting in front of my locker. It wasn’t really odd- Everett and I’s relationship had changed quite fast. There was still quite a lot of teasing and smirking (mostly from him), but I couldn’t tell if he was just being careful since I had just gone through a breakup, or he genuinely was being friendly. Either way, something was changing between us- I just couldn’t tell what.