Chapter Five: Lost in Stereo

She's dancing alone

I'm ready to go but she's so

Lost in stereo, lost in stereo

She's out of control, so beautiful

In stereo, lost in stereo

~"Lost in Stereo" by All Time Low

Chapter Five: Lost in Stereo

    As I entered my room, I started to get ready for the party. I got in the shower, fishtail braided my hair, did my makeup, and got dressed. I put on a maroon colored crop top, high waisted shorts, a white cardigan with black tribal print, and high heeled black ankle boots. Before I was headed downstairs, I checked the time: 8:03 pm. I walked into the kitchen to see Landon typing away on his computer.

    “Hey, Lan. What are you up to?” I asked, and he turned around to see me.

    “Just writing a paper. You look… nice,” he said, but choked out the last word.

    “Oh thank you,” I replied, smiling.

    “What happened to you?” he blurted out, surprising me.

    “What do you mean?” I asked, confused.

    “Well, first, you came to pick me up with a guy you’re friends with. Back home, you were so nervous around guys, you couldn’t stand to be in the same room alone with one, except Ryan. And secondly, you’re dressing like most girls do, and spending time on makeup and your hair. You never used to do that,” he replied.

    “Well, you want to know the truth? Ryan dumped me, okay?” I yelled, all fired up.  “Before I even knew we were moving, the day after we had our first time together! So I decided I didn’t want to be the nerdy girl that everybody takes advantage of! I wanted to be the confident girl that guys were interested in, and I wanted to be a normal teenager, and go to parties and drink and have fun, okay?” By the time I finished my rant, I was on the verge of tears.

    “Ryan dumped you?” Landon exclaimed, clearly pissed off. “After he slept with you? I am so going to have a talk with him when I get home.”

    “I wish you would,” I replied, sitting down.

    “I’m so sorry, Kenna. I didn’t know. It’s just different seeing you like this, but you know what?” He asked, looking at me. “You’re my little sister, and I’ll love you no matter what you look like.” He pulled me into a hug. “I’ll even love you when you’re an old cat lady,” he added, and I lightly punched his arm.

    “Thanks, Lan,” I replied, before picking up my phone to see a text from Everett.

    Hey, game ended early. Mind if I pick you guys up at eight thirty?

    I quickly replied with, Yeah, sounds great. We’re both ready.

    We had twenty minutes left before Everett was due to pick us up, so Landon and I went and sat on the back porch and enjoyed the sunset. The heat was still evident in the air, and I was on the verge of sweating. We sat there, catching up, until we heard a honk from the front of the house.