Chapter Fourteen: Trade Mistakes

Let me save you, hold this rope

I may never sleep tonight

As long as you're still burning bright

If I could trade mistakes for sheep

Count me away before you sleep

I'll stay awake 'til I trade my mistakes

So they fade away

~”Trade Mistakes” by Panic! at the Disco

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(This chapter is dedicated to EvilLeprechaun because we’ve been talking and she’s a reader and she’s pretty cool. Go follow her!)

Chapter Fourteen: Trade Mistakes

I woke up the next morning with a heavy eyelids and a muscular arm laying on my waist. I took me a minute to adjust to the light coming from my window, but once my vision was focused, I saw the facial features of the person laying next to me. Dark brown hair, tan skin, and a very light, and almost unnoticeable dusting of freckles. I smiled at the sight of Everett looking so calm, so innocent. I looked away after a couple of minutes of staring, feeling that he could tell what I was doing even though he was asleep.

I reached and touched my face, and felt the dried tears under my eyes, before having everything from last night come back to me. Dinner, going on a walk, Mark revealing his true intentions, and me breaking up with him.  I was on the verge of crying, when I was being pulled closer into Everett’s chest. Even though he wasn’t conscious, him doing that made the tears subside, and I felt happy. I snuggled in closer, and closed my eyes, not feeling heartbreak, but contentment.

About an hour later, someone was shaking me awake. “Kenna,” Everett breathed, shaking my shoulder gently.

“Shh, I’m sleeping,” I grumbled, sticking my pointer finger out to shush him, but I ended up poking his nose.

“Come on, sunshine, it’s almost noon. I know you’re hurting, but going out and distracting yourself might help,” he replied sincerely. I decided that fighting him wasn’t worth it, so I opened my eyes and sat up. He was staring at me with two cups of coffee in his hands. He handed me one, and I took a sip of the delightful liquid.

“Well, what do you want to do today?” I asked, looking up from my coffee to see him staring at me with an unreadable expression in his eyes.

“We should get out of here, go out. You in?” he asked.  

“Yea. Where are we going?” I asked, getting myself out of bed. I crossed my room towards the closet and opened it.

“It’s a surprise,” he taunted as he exited the room. I decided that since I had taken a shower the night before, I would just french braid my hair. For clothes, I decided on a simple orange chiffon tank top, blue denim skinny jeans, and gold gladiator sandals. When I was done with getting dressed and putting on a light coat of makeup, I grabbed my black fringe messenger bag and sunglasses as I headed out my bedroom door.