Twenty Six

The response I've gotten from the story is simply incredible and I can't thank you all enough for this. Thank you thank you thank you and I apologize for making you all freak out about Scarlett. Don't worry about her :)

weeellll

* * * * * * * *

Twenty Six

Scarlett's POV

It rained that night.

It rained as I laid in the empty house. It rained as I drowned my soul into sad music. It rained as I began to cry and cough until my lungs exploded.

I sat out in the rain for too long.

If you let me, I could sit out there for hours. I usually sat on the curb until I didn't feel the drops on my skin anymore. Sometimes I wept. I watched cars drive by and listened to the heavy splashes of my tears and the rain drops. No one really noticed. Sometimes I'd stay in the park and let the rain wash over.

Occasionally, I'd walk over the Midnight Bridge and stare over the edge.

Then I'd come home to Ed's somewhat dry. At least dry enough so he wouldn't question me. I didn't know why I had to put myself in such pain. I guess I felt as though I deserved it.

So here I was. In my bed. Coughing and sneezing until my brain flew out of my nose. I felt too weak to do a thing, which made me antsy. I slept. I cried. I shook and looked for more blankets. I watched Quentin Tarantino movies and Gravity Falls with soup with too many calories and saltine crackers that prevented me from puking up my meals. I was convined I had pneumonia. Maybe cancer. I deserved cancer.

That made me cry more.

I sat at the window where I first saw Harry. I was sure I was hallucinating, but I still remembered everything clearly. I remembered his face - his glittery eyes and how he promised me ectasy. He promised me paradise.

I think he lied.

I had the sudden urge to throw everything out the window. I wanted to tear my wallpaper off into tiny little strips and cut my hair because I hated how I looked. I wanted to peel my skin off and step into another's. Laying in bed all day was making me awfully morbid.

Midnight Bridge was calling my name. I would've gone tonight, but I felt too weak to stand.

I wondered if I could overdose on Advil, but I couldn't bring myself too. I simply took two to get rid of my blasting headache, took what felt like twenty minutes to get up the stairs, and fell asleep to Elvis Presley. We did the Jailhouse Rock all the way to heaven.

* * * * * * * * * *

The Raven knocked at my door. He didn't say "Nevermore", but simplly said "hello" and kept me company.

"Zayn?" I said, with a small cough. I finally reached the front door with a blanket around my shoulders. "I'm in the worst condition of my entire life."

"I'm here to keep you company." He gave me a little smile. "This can be our bonding time, you know."

I laughed to myself. It was a bit of an inside joke. "Come in, dear guest. Make yourself at this home that does not belong to me."

He smiled and walked inside the wide door I had opened up for him. He had some small balloons and sunflowers - my favorite flower - in his hands. I took them with a smile and breathed into their sweet scent. I sneezed afterwards - four times in a row - making Zayn erupt in laughter.

He had a pretty laugh.

"I'm sorry. It's kind of been a mess." I admitted sheepishly, setting the flowers down on the counter. I didn't bother trying to find to find a vase. I felt too weak. I already had some tea ready so I offered some to Zayn.