Thirty Five

I decided not to do it all at once, since that might be really annoying. I'll update when I can. I'd say there's like six parts left plus an epilogue. I'll count later.

Hope you all are well. :)

* * * * *

Thirty Five

"We've heard so much about you already." Gemma grinned, giving Harry a cheeky wink.

"Gemma's bluffing." Harry said, shaking his head.

"I'm sorry, but don't believe you." I laughed, making everyone else around the table join in.

"I like her already." Gemma looked over in my direction from across the table. I shrugged a little as Harry let one of his long arms find its way around my shoulder.

"Me too."

"Harry is very fond of you, so I approve too." Anne nodded. I guess I should have been happy. Maybe even excited, but there was something about her sentence that bothered me. My stomach felt like a pot of water on high. It wasn't right. No. It wasn't. I needed to fix that.

"Mrs. Styles," I said slowly. "I'd rather you like me for who I am . . . " I paused as everyone's eyes locked on me. "And not just because Harry likes me."

Anne seemed impressed and if not Gemma certainly was. Harry's sister leaned back in her chair a little and smiled at me.

"I really like you now. Ooh, you picked a good one, Harry." Gemma muttered, somewhat breaking the serious moment.

My eyes were still focused on Anne. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything. Maybe I should have just kept my mouth shut and been the good girl I always had to be.

"You have . . . " Anne paused, waiting for the right word. "Such character, Scarlett. I would like to know you for who you are and not just my son's girlfriend. It may take a while, but clearly it would be worth the time."

"Is that your way of saying you want us to leave now, Mum?" Harry asked in a joking tone.

She laughed before looking back at me with a true admiration in her eyes for me.

"Don't leave without this girl." She whispered and I returned a smile full of gratitude.

"You're enrolled in college, aren't you?" Gemma raised an eyebrow.

I nodded as I took a bite out of my meal. My movements were careful, but not as obsessive as they were years ago.

"Here's another test of character. Did you let Harry pay?"

"Oh goodness, absolutely not! If I let him pay for college then he'd be showering me with cars and parking tickets!"

"Never say yes. It will never end."

"All he bought me was a house and I told him that was it." Anne said.

"No, Mum, I'm in a boy band. It's okay. I got it, he says." Gemma said dramatically. "You don't have to work anymore. Lemme pay for it."

Harry looked flustered as his family brought up dozens of times when Harry used his fame for good and I couldn't help but smile.

"He's always been a provider." Anne smiled at her son. "Ever since his dad left he's always kind of felt responsible for us."

"He's like an insurance company."

"He's Allstate," I nudged him a little. "Are you in good hands?"

"Clearly!" Gemma said, throwing her hands up in the air, making us all laugh. "My brother's in One Direction!"

"I think this is our time to smother Harry. Who wants to start?"