Chapter Twenty

"Ah! I just want to sleep!" I exclaimed as I kept on throwing my blanket in the air. Worries and anxieties filled my mind. 

My resignation, how I'tell Chan about it, my missing polaroid picture taken seventeen years ago. Why is this happening all at once? I know that the picture doesn't sound that important but to me, it is. Careless, Irene

I already came to the point where I almost broke out after not being able to sleep after an hour of trying. Out of boredom, I decided to clean my room. This actually helps me go to bed. It won't just help me fall asleep but this would help me prepare for my leave. I hope the next boarders of the apartment would take good care of this. It was slowly coming up to me that I'm already leaving, packing some of my things, throwing out some trash, and reminiscing the moments I've spent in each corner of this home.

Tomorrow's going to be my last work for Chan. I wanted it to be 'the best for last'. While I was sweeping the floor in the living room, I started to practice on how I'll tell Mr. Seo and Chan about my resignation. 

"Good morning sir. I would like file my... No no, it's too straightforward." I cleared my throat, "Good morning sir, it has been really an honor of mine to be... It doesn't sound good. Again, again." After trying for the umpteenth time, I finally felt tired. 

I was sweating so much, it was a good exercise too. 'Gotta burn those fats! I was too tired to go back to my bedroom that I dozed off on the couch.

---

I woke up by the sound of my phone's alarm which was inside my room. Is my phone's alarm really that loud?  Thankfully, I haven't received any complaints from my neighbors regarding my phone's alarm, lol. I smelled salty from last night's cleaning. I stood up, looking at the whole house. I surprisingly cleaned a wide range of the house. 

The floor was shiny, the furniture weren't as dusty as before,  the cabinets and my closet were already empty, and my personal belongings were already kept in my luggage. The apartment was ready for a new boarder. I looked at the big glass window behind me. I let out a big sigh. 

I'm going miss waking up to this view.

---

I couldn't believe that my temporary job is about to end. Well, that's why it's called temporary. Nothing lasts forever, eh? I must have enjoyed my job so much that I didn't notice the time. It does run fast right? I forced myself to get up and head to work. Every step that I make makes me remember of all the times I've spent here. I never thought that I'd fall for this place so much that leaving it hurts.

I arrived at SME before I could even notice it. They were less employees. I felt even nostalgic for some reason maybe because the building gave an air of loneliness. I assume everybody is preparing for the event later tonight. I straightened my clothes as I went on my way to Mr. Seo's office. For the last time.

I could feel my heart pounding like it was my first day of work. I felt like something wasn't right but I immediately erased the thought. 

Positive thinking gives out positive results. I hope so. 

I knocked on Mr. Seo's door. There was no response. I started to get anxious, don't tell me he's not around today. After several attempts, someone finally spoke from the room. 

"Come in!" I heard Mr. Seo. I slowly opened the door. "Oh it's you, Irene!" I made a 90-degree bow. "Good morning, Mr. Seo." 

"Sorry, I just had to answer a phone call from the president." My eyes widened. Did I disturb them? He continued, "And no, you didn't disturb us. In fact, you just came right in time." Suddenly, I felt something strange. Mr. Seo's face changed from a smile to a disappointed expression on his face. But anyways, I started to talk about my leave. 

"Mr. Seo, I came here for something important."

He leaned back to his chair and I continued. "If you can still remember sir, I'm also a medical student back home and I'm just here for a break. Sir, unfortunately, I'm here to tell you about my resignation. I'm leaving back to the Philippines in two days. Thank you very much for accepting me. I enjoyed my job here so much that leaving hurts but of course, I still need to continue my studies back home. I'm so sorry sir." 

I looked at his reaction. There was none but instead, he got his phone. He texted someone. His face looking so serious. I hope he's not texting Chanyeol about this. I want to be the one to tell him.

The room felt silent after that. Mr. Seo leaned on his table, waiting for a reply from someone. 

"Irene." 

Mr. Seo still had a serious look on his face. His voice sounded with authority. "Yes Mr. Seo?" I replied with enthusiasm trying lift up the mood. 

"Uhm, I didn't know this would happen. I didn't expect that things would happen like this. I'm so sorry about what will happen after this." I didn't understand what Mr. Seo meant but I just gave him a re-assuring smile, "No worries Mr. Seo." Deep inside, I got extremely worried. I don't have any idea of what's happening.

Mr. Seo immediately stood up as soon as soon as he received the reply. 

"Come with me." 

His words felt so urgent that I didn't hesitate to go with him. He walked so fast. "Mr. Seo, where are we going?" 

I asked him while I tried my best to follow his fast footsteps. I was born to be a short girl, sigh. "Just follow me." Mr. Seo didn't even bother to look at me, he just looked straight ahead. He was walking ahead of me, leading to the far end of the hall.

We have finally reached the end of the hall. He stalked walking in front of me, I stopped behind him too. I could hear ourselves trying to catch our breath. I still don't have any idea of what's happening. He spoke without looking at me, 

"Irene, I was asked to bring you here."

He moved aside. There, I saw a door with a big sign that says...

THE PRESIDENT'S OFFICE

What the heck am I doing here?! 

I couldn't understand why I was brought there. Have I done something wrong? As far as I can remember, I hadn't. 

Or am I up for a promotion and they're just acting to make it a surprise? Sorry, but I need to reject it if ever that happens.