62. His Parents

Adele was sitting with the ladies at the balcony as they were having lemonade and watching kids play in the front yard's play ground. There were alot of kids there mostly the sons and daughters of Don Vitorio's men.

Mama Adriana, the Don's wife kept checking on the heavily pregnant Sofia who was Francesco's uncle Pietro's wife. It was Sofia's first child even though she had been married for more than two decades.

Sofia spoke "Mama. I am fine. I am not hungry any more. I am just thirsty. As she reached for the lemondade jug another one of the women who was one of the wives of the employee's of the manor poured her some lemonade and handed it to her "You are not eating enough Sofia. When I was pregnant with my first baby I ate much more that you did. Today at lunch, you hardly had two helpings. You are eating for two." She then turned to Adele " Doctor you tell her how important it is to feed the baby."

Mama Adriana smiled "She already has. Its Sofia who is just the one who must listen. Are you ok Adele? You seem abit ... concerned. Don't worry about Francesco. He will handle what comes at him."

Adele was baffled by the women. From what she had seen, it seemed like the women were in the dark in this manner and either didn't seem to know much about what was happening around them or pretended nothing was happening, turning a blind eye. She wondered how they could get used to living this way. She had to adjust to such life..

Adele smiled at Mama Adriana "Tell me about your son, Paulo."

Mama Adriana sighed "There is not much to tell. I raised him until he was eighteen. He went to college and he refused to come back to Sicily after graduation alongside Piero. I hadn't seen Paulo since his divorce. He came to Sicily weeks ago and announced he is marrying his divorced wife. We were happy for him but did not attend his wedding because we didn't like to witness a re-marriage. We don't believe in divorce. Then ..... someone tried to .... tried to ... kill him." Tears then came to her eyes. "I wish we had gone to his wedding and the Don's security was there. But Paulo had made it clear he didn't want no security and no one was going to hurt him since he was retired."

Sofia wrapped her arm around Mama Adriana's shoulder and spoke softly "Calm down Mama. It is all well now. Paulo is back out of his way too early retirement and Piero has come with him. No one can hurt him now. The Don would protect his family. Pietro knows what he is doing as the second in charge too. Don't worry Mama."

Suddenly Adele noticed the ladies freezing in their place looking behind Adele. Mama Adriana stood up "Francesco...."

Adele turned around as she saw Francesco smiling "Mama Adriana. Its great to see you."

Mama Adriana walked to Francesco and embraced him whispering "I haven't seen you for so long. Let me look at you. You are so handsome now." She slightly pulled away and looked at him taking in his appearance.

Sofia waved from her seat "Hi Francesco. Your fiancé is so lovely. Congratulations to both of you."

Mama Adriana took a step away from Francesco and spoke "You see Sofia... She is almost nine months pregnant now. This time next year, Adele can give you a baby too. You never know. But you must marry her first. Enough waiting Francesco. When is the wedding?"

Francesco sighed " You will be invited Mama. It is very soon...."

Mama Adriana turned to Adele "Why don't you get married here in Sicily? Think about it sweetie. Its very beautiful here. You will have your privacy in this place. You will have a huge wedding and then you can go back to the states on your way to your honey moon. Don't you love Sicily?"

Adele smiled " Of course. I love Sicily."

Francesco spoke "Sweetheart, I need you now."

The look on Francesco's face said a lot. He seemed like he had a distant look in his eyes and so much on his mind. She knew this was it. A big moment was approaching.