66. An Intense Confrontation

Adele was once again sitting next to Francesco on the bench as he was holding her waist in his arm and both were looking into the distance. Adele was torn about whether to bring up Costanzo. She actually could see the defeated, retreating figure of Costanzo walking away from the building from where she was sitting. She was deep in thought about what was requested of Francesco. She felt so sorry for Costanzo but what could she do? Francesco was not really in a state to be asked for favours. She knew it was best to remain silent and just be there for Francesco but she was planning to talk to Costanzo and ask him if he wanted her help. But of course for now Adele was glad that at least Francesco had let him walk away with no consequences.

Francesco's words brought her out of her thoughts "You have gone quiet sweetheart. What is on your mind?"

Adele shrugged and looked up at him "It doesn't matter what I think Francesco. It's about what you feel right now. You are right. You are here on no rescue mission. You are here to get some answers and confront your father. I can't imagine what you must be going through. I know Costanzo had bad timing but he looked devastated. I can't lie to you. I do worry for him. He is like my brother..."

Francesco's expression hardened "I think it should be enough that I let him walk away just like that this time. That was for you. You do not need to worry for Costanzo. He is smarter than he looks and we are on Rosario territory. He won't be shot dead, no matter what he does for that woman if that is what worries you. I hope either Costanzo learns his lesson properly this time or even better yet, my grandfather teaches him a lesson."

Adele was thinking over his words and nodded. There were no words to say. Minutes were now spent in silence between them.

Adele was admiring the view around them from the top of the roof or rather Francesco's spot but also glancing at Francesco who was looking into the distance. She wished she could read his mind. Her mind was partly with Francesco and partly with Costanzo. There was nothing she could do but hope that Francesco did something. She knew it was not the right time to talk to Francesco about his brother's love life. Francesco had other worries on his mind. But she was surely going to ask Costanzo somehow later if there was anything she could do for him. But part of her was not so sure she could help him. Costanzo's troubles seemed to be always complex. Where did his problems ever end? Sometimes keeping away from Costanzo could at least mean she couldn't make it any worse....

Francesco looked at Adele "I love you so much.... Today was an eventful day but you know the most hilarious part of the day was when my uncle was trying to get me to back off by threatening you. He has met me before. He knows full well about the lengths I would go to protect you? It just shows he has ran out of his reasonings. What can he do or say? Nothing. He can not stop me. He is just stating the obvious and hope I back off. Obviously, the Don knows well also about what lengths I would go to protect what is mine and get my revenge. His men have orders to shoot me if I try to hurt his sons. Did you know that? He told me all about his orders amongst many other matters that we discussed when he asked you to step outside his office"

Adele gasped "Really? He would kill you... Francesco...."

Francesco laughed "No. Their orders is not to kill. It is to shoot... to injure to stop me from killing my uncle and my father if I do not listen to warnings or refuse to be restrained if I attack the Don's precious sons. That just shows how the Don is convinced that I mean business. His men outnumber mine by thousands. I hardly have a hundred personnel here. He has thousands. But he still knows I won't hesitate to pull the trigger if that is what I wish."

Adele spoke weakly "I am scared for you. Be careful Francesco. This may not end well.."

Francesco shook his head "Don't sweetheart. Don't worry. Don't be scared. I can protect myself. You should know that. As for protecting you, also you shouldn't worry. You are all I have and I will protect you with my life. The men in my world have the job to worry and provide for their women."