Chapter 1 - The Mystery Dust

I was strongly inspired by a book I read a few years ago so if you recognise this storyline then that's why :') I can't even remember what it was called but I loved it so I thought I'd share my love for it and write a similar one! I hope you enjoy!

——————————————————————————————————————————————————

Dust particles drifted through the air, the moonlight dancing upon the floor like a shimmering silver cloak. Her hair whipped her face fiercely, licking her smooth pale complexion like a hungry animal. It was attacking her skin with talons of darkness, enveloping her form. The strands continuously danced across her pale cheeks as if they were meant to be there, coating her vision with a black veil of death. Her hands were delicately pale and fragile, her nails coated in a dark black liquid which contrasted with her beautiful flawless skin.

Her black cloak reflected the moon's light, the illumination scattering across the gentle creases it created as it fell around her delicate form. It reached down to the floor, skimming against the pavement, dragging along the pavement as if trying to prolong her advancement.

The under-cloak that was mostly hidden around her figure sprayed out a bright blood red that seemed to sparkle in the night air, catching the glimmer like a running fountain of fresh blood. Trees reached out and caught the cloak, admiring the glisten of the fabric, but their branches came out with nothing. The cloak merely passed through their envious fingers and continued on it's path.

It was as if nothing could reach out and stop this figure from doing the deed it was set out in completing. Amazingly silent, amazingly swift and elegant, this creature was unstoppable.

It was a wispy substance that nothing could stop.

The figure was indeed a person, or had been a person at least a few years ago. It was hard to describe when everything that surrounded them was so unreal, so unbelievable.

It took the shape of a slim teenager, a teenager that no one would suspect from the look that shined out, or darkened in this case, when it slid beneath a street light, casting a roughly edged shape in the air. It was a typical shape. Anyone who saw this creature wouldn't think anything of it, for it looked like someone who was just having a midnight stroll, minding their own business and enjoying the cool breeze without the company of the rest of the neighbourhood.

No one would look close enough to see that this wasn't the case.

There was so much more to this figure that met the eye, so much more that would surprise anyone, if they looked close enough that is.

Dark grey ash, the kind you received in a vase after a funeral, skimmed the floor around the figure almost ironically, hovering by a mere centimetre, separating and spreading out as if trying to coat the whole  area of the ground and make it her possession. There was lots of it, hugging the shape of her feet like manmade footprints.

It formed her body and transformed her into a solid figure as she touched the ground gracefully with her black heels, the remaining ash swirling around her as a mini tornado. Some might have suspected that she controlled the weather due to all of the things moving around her, or how she moved and acted, which made the elements swirl responsively. This wasn't the case. She'd long since realised that those powers weren't something she was going to possess.