Chapter 22 - Zak's Return

Zak held onto Gems, who, despite annoyed, gripped hold of him. Her hold was so tight that it hurt, or would have hurt, if he had been able to feel his body. He was numb all over. The feelings that had escaped him in that kiss were unbelievable.

It was wonderful, he hated to admit. He hadn’t wanted it to stop. She was definitely the best kisser ever: no surprise there. He wasn't even able to deny it to himself.

            He had forgotten all about Gems when his lips had touched Jasmine. She’d been so fantastic that it had wiped his mind clean. He never realised that there was a taste when you kissed someone until now.

Jasmine had that strawberry taste, a soft milkshake tang that stayed on his tongue and lips, making them tingle with pleasure. He didn’t have a clue what Gems’ taste was, because she obviously didn’t have a very strong taste, otherwise he would have noticed by now.

            He put his arm around her to shield her from what was happening. He might have loved that kiss but Gems was his girlfriend, not Jasmine, and it was necessary. It was for a good cause, he convinced himself. Jasmine was going to be a human and everything was going to turn out fine. She was going to be better. She was going to live the rest of her life vampire free.

            This night was getting weirder and weirder. They watched as Jasmine carried on spinning. Lights flashed. Noises blurred. The bubble shield glowed like a star. The faster it spun, the more it lit up. Zak could no longer see Jasmine inside, though there were flashes of her hair waving around the edges.

What if it didn't work? What if he didnt like her enough? He found that thought impossible but he didnt want to jinx it. He didn't exactly know how this worked. What if he'd done it wrong? May that was why she screamed at him and soon as they separated. Oh god, what had he done?!

Suddenly there was a huge BANG!

Jasmine fell.

            Zak let go of Gems and ran with all his might towards her as she dropped from the sky limply. She looked so vulnerable. The bubble disappeared with a pop and everything dimmed to the normal colour. The zombie people died into the ground, or the rest of them anyway, with a crumble, the graveyard coming back into sight as if it had never left. It was hard to believe that all of that had just happened when everything seemed so normal, except a girl falling from the middle of the sky out of nowhere.

            Gems, realising what was happening, quickly followed him over, worry in her features, her hands out also, as if Zak wasn’t strong enough to catch her. Her hair, because of the wind, was sprayed all over the place and sticking up in odd angles. Her eyes were wide with shock and weariness.

            Zak only just made it in time and caught Jasmine before she hit the floor with a thump. He held her in his arms for a second or two, making sure he had her properly. Even as he did, he swallowed and went pink. She wasn’t as light as before but she wasn’t heavy. He slowly dropped to his knees and lay her on the floor.

            Nothing had changed very much about Jasmine except the odd white strand of hair in her original jet hair mass. Also, her eyes weren’t black anymore but an emerald green, the colour of the deepest part of the sea. Even as he looked into them, they swam around like liquid. Her skin was still white but it was getting warmer. It no longer looked translucent.

At least he hadn't killed her.

            Gems quickly tore off her coat and laid it on top of Jasmine‘s naked body. They both observed her for a few minutes, taking in the little changes. Zak continued to stay pink, no matter how much he tried to direct his mind somewhere else.

“Do you think it actually worked?” Zak asked and blinked, taking in Jasmine‘s face.

“Something happened, that’s for sure. Don’t wake her!” Gems exclaimed as he shook Jasmine gently by the shoulders. “She needs sleep, as if you hadn’t noticed.”

            Gems studied her surroundings; a boring old empty graveyard. It was still dark, fortunately. Zak picked up Jasmine’s drooping form and stood up, carrying her in his arms, hooking them under her legs and back. He could feel her warming up slightly and her chest raised under the coat. She was definitely alive. How alive, he wasn't sure just yet.

“Let’s go back to your house.” Gems said and followed Zak as he made his way across the grass, past the many gravestones they had passed to get there. She folded her arms and rubbed herself roughly, warming herself up. It was chilly, and Gems was probably cold because Jasmine had her coat. Strangely, Zak wasn’t cold at all, and he had no top on whatsoever. It was probably all of the action which had kept him alive and toasty.

“Are you okay?” Zak asked her as they headed back. “You look awfully cold.”

“I’m fine. It’s Jasmine we should be worrying about. She’s only got that coat covering her, and don’t say you didn’t notice because you were staring at her before.” She gave Zak a look then carried on. “She’s going to hate you when she wakes up.”

“At least she’s no longer a vampire.” Zak said and blushed. “And I wasn’t staring at her. I was making sure she was okay.”

“Sure, sure.”

            Zak and Gems held their tongues the rest of the way, for they knew what the conversation would become and neither one of them wanted to talk about it, not just yet anyway. It was best if it was shoved to the side for the time being.

Also, Zak was having trouble concentrating on where he was going as he touched Jasmine’s skin. He could feel her breathing against his chest, warm fingers pressed against his stomach lightly. Her body fit perfectly in his arms and his own body reacted to her touch, he couldn't help but notice.

            He opened the front door of his house and carried Jasmine up the stairs, Gems tracking him every step of the way. She closed the door behind them and walked up the stairs one step behind. Zak looked down at Jasmine as he progressed. She looked so peaceful lying in his arms. He could feel her bare back on his hands and he shivered, embarrassed.

She was soft and floppy, so vulnerable. A few hours ago he would have never thought that Jasmine was a vampire, that he’d turn her back, that he’d carry her up the stairs, that he’d kiss her in front of hid girlfriend and live to tell the tale.

            He placed her on top of the bed and watched her as she slept, curled slightly to the side. Gems nudged him and he broke his gaze to look at his girlfriend. She pointed over to his bedroom door. “What?” he asked confused. Did she want him to shut the door or to go out of the room? Did she want him to go downstairs or wait on the landing? She pointed more vigorously and pushed him towards the door.

“I have to get her changed dummy.” She hissed as she threw him out of the room.

“Oh! Oh right! Yes! Yes of course. Right.” Zak stammered as his own bedroom door was flung in his face. He sighed and was just about to lean on the door when it opened again.

“What should I change her into?” Gems asked.

“I don’t know.” He answered before making hand gestures wildly at her, “Be creative. Look about… NOT in the top draw nearest my wardrobe. There’s nothing interesting in there.” He added, muttering.

“Oh and by the way.” she said as she closed the door. “Next time do it when I’m not looking!” She scowled at him and shut the door before he had time to reply.

“Well it would have been obvious if I said ‘turn around!’” He called.

He heard her snort behind the door, the draws being pulled open roughly, loads of things being thrown onto the bed.

            He sat down on the floor and leaned on the door heavily. What a night to remember. He could just see himself telling his children of this adventure, positive that they wouldn’t believe it, but telling them anyway.

As he sat, he imagined Gems shuffling around his room and finding something suitable, cringing at some of the dreadful shirts he’d gotten for his birthday.

Well not everyone had style