Chapter 26 - Zak's Hushed Talking

It was strange being on his own with Gems again.

It wasn’t that he didn’t like it. He just thought it was strange. He might never see Jasmine again and yet he didn’t chase after her. He didn’t stop her going. He stood as she left the room, went down the stairs, shut the front door and went down the road.

            Gems didn’t react the way he thought she would either. She wasn’t mean. She never once laughed about her going, never grinned at him and held him tightly, never sniggered out the window at her. She was actually sad. She was sad at seeing Jasmine go. He never thought that that would ever happen.

            He went in the kitchen with Gems and poured a glass of juice for them both before hitching himself on the counter, sipping his drink. Gems leaned against the counter opposite in the middle of the room and looked down at her own drink. He was the first to break the silence.

“So…” He said and took another gulp, “What do you think was up with Jasmine?”

“I don’t know.” She replied quickly, glad that the calmness had evaporated. “I think she felt a bit unwanted. You know, with us going to school without her.”

“Yeah.” He agreed and finished his drink, pulling a face before placing the cup back in the sink. He swung his legs back and forward, hitting the draws with his heels. He breathed out and glanced at Gems. She saw him looking and looked straight back.

“What?” she smiled at him.

“Nothing.” Zak shrugged then grinned. “I was just thinking.”

“About?” She stood up and ran her fingers through her hair teasingly.

“You.” He jumped off the counter as she screamed and ran out of the room. He laughed and chased after her playfully.

            Zak searched for his girlfriend, calling her and laughing as he listened for her squeals and giggles. He whipped back curtains and looked under tables. Climbing the stairs, he tried to make her laugh, finally finding her in the bathroom behind the door.

She screamed as he grabbed her and laughed. He swung her around and pushed her into the shower. She gripped him and pulled him in with her. They struggled and Zak accidentally pushed the power button on with his elbow. They were instantly sprayed with freezing cold water. Gems screamed and Zak swore before they began hugging each other tightly and swirling about, soaking wet.

“We are going to be so wet!” Gems shouted and laughed as Zak ruffled her hair and kissed her cheek.

“Who cares?!” He shouted back as Gems started to tickle him.

            They fell out of the shower and Zak wrapped a towel around them both. He cuddled her and she leaned on his chest. She sighed happily. He held her tight and kissed her head.

The atmosphere had changed so suddenly as soon as Jasmine was out of the picture. It was weird. He had never had this much fun before. It made him feel quite guilty in a way. Jasmine wasn’t part of this and she would have probably had the best time of her life.

            He pushed the image of Jasmine out of his mind and led Gems into his bedroom to dry off. As he made his way back downstairs, Zak scrubbed his hair with a towel. Suddenly, he heard something coming from the garage.

            At first he ignored it because he thought it was just his imagination. After a while, it happened again and this time he knew he wasn’t imagining it. He shuffled over to the door and pressed his ear against it. There was definitely something there. It was hard to know what it was without looking at it. Maybe it was the person who had the knife.