Chapter 17 - Jasmine's Uncovered

This was fun.

There was no more hiding, no more pretending, no more trying to fight herself. The hunger, the thirst rather, itched her throat, making it feel red raw.

She was herself now. There was no need to pretend anymore. If they did escape, which they weren’t going to, everyone would think they were mental if they told, and she knew that they knew that.

They were completely trapped and they couldn’t do anything about it. Everyone would think that they were making something up about her and Jasmine had a feeling that every person wouldn’t believe them, or would pretend to believe them when they knew that it wasn’t true, or that’s what they’d think. It made sense to her, but probably not to anyone else.

The feeling of power over these humans was intense. It was like a drug. Her mouth curled up at the corners as she thought about it.

            They were going to know what she really was and excitement was welling up inside her, ready to pop like an overblown balloon. They were going to realise that the Jasmine they knew didn’t really exist. The Jasmine they knew had disappeared a long time ago, a fragment of the past. In its place, the real Jasmine had come, destroying the innocence and shyness of the human left within her. The real Jasmine was a monster. They were going to realise that soon enough. This was only the start of her power. They would be scared...

but it would be too late to run.

            They were in her control. They were completely helpless. It made her strong and powerful. She was the boss now. They were defenceless little humans who thought they could bully her and get away with it. Well, they were in for a surprise. It was her turn now, her turn to bully them and pick on them, just like they did to her.

They wouldn’t even know what hit them.

            She was swirling round and round, surrounding Zak and Gems in a thick cloud of foggy weather, another trick she deeply congratulated herself for perfecting. It was such a clever spell. It worked in all sorts of different ways. It could be used in many situations, like the one now. Her patient/victim couldn’t escape, and no one could see what was happening inside the eye. It was the perfect situation for her.

            It was like a tornado. She laughed out loud. The power was so wonderful. She’d never felt so great in all the time that she had lived and that was saying something. Gems started coughing loudly and Jasmine grinned. Yes, suffer Gems, just like she’d suffered. See how she liked it. That’ll teach her. She deserved the pain. She wondered if she should torture her and choke her to death first, put her through as much pain as possible. That would be good. As if decided, Jasmine spun faster.

            Then Zak began to suffocate and Jasmine jumped with surprise. It was alright for Gems to choke. She deserved it. However, Zak had helped her, had been by her side, most of the time anyway. He’d shown her around, though she hadn’t needed to be. He’d talked to her and had been a good friend, even though he hadn’t protected her from Gems. He’d spent time in his bedroom with her, had held her hand, had given her advice. He deserved to be set free, but with him leaning all over Gems, it was pretty difficult to separate them. She stopped spinning and blew gently.

Immediately, the smoke had gone.

            She watched them for a while as they recovered before turning solid and standing in front of them both, her eyes like red snake like slits, her mouth carved into a dangerous smile, intimidating and frightening. Her cloak fluttered against her ankles, licking them hungrily, nipping at her legs. Her fangs flashed white before she hid them behind her lips. Her hands stayed at her side, her skin the coldest it had ever been.