Chapter 28 - Zak's Going Mad

What was wrong with him? Just because Jasmine wasn’t hanging out with him didn’t give him the excuse to act like a jealous ex-boyfriend. He didn’t even like her like that!

Well…He thought he didn’t like her like that. Now he wasn’t too sure. His automatic reactions had left him puzzled. Darren was his friend but as soon as Jasmine had been near him, he had felt anger for his team mate.

            Maybe it was because he was used to looking after her now, used to the sensitive little creature she was, and he cared about her because they were close friends. It had nothing to do with liking her more than what he was supposed to, surely. He was just trying to protect her.

That was it.

            He was just a very over-protective person, that was why he kept glaring at Darren by accident, why he watched Jasmine carefully in her expressions whenever Darren was nearby for any sign of emotion.

He was worried.

He didn’t want her to get hurt, or him maybe. The fangs that he had seen from Jasmine had made him think about how strong she still was, how she could easily still be like a vampire, even though she would get older.

            Gems could obviously feel the tension in the air around him, no matter how much he tried to hide it. He forced himself not to look at the ex-vampire and his team mate, though his eyes occasionally slipped during classes, and tried to distract himself with his girlfriend.

It wasn’t much success. They could both see that.

            In second lesson, he could see Jasmine’s hair falling over her shoulders as she whipped her hair back from her work. She was incredibly beautiful, another reason that might trigger off this type of protection. She was a target for boys, and some boys weren’t nice. She might not even know the effect she made when she moved around the school. She seemed oblivious to the continuous stares she got from people in her classes and the glares she got from girls who passed her.

Darren was the quiet sort but he could surprise them very easily. He wasn’t sure whether he would be able to trust them on their own together. Anything could happen. He could try to take advantage of her and he really didnt want Jasmine to experince anything like that in her second human life if he could help it.

            What he kept forgetting, though, was that she was so much more powerful than any other human on the planet. She had powers of a vampire and that was a very big thing to stop anything happening to her. Still, with her being a girl, Zak still felt like he needed to keep her safe.

            He dreaded the second when the bell went, even though he knew it had to come at some point. He was so preoccupied in thinking to himself that it made him jump slightly when the bell went.

There was no Gems nearby and he knew he had but seconds before Jasmine exited. He quickly caught up with her and touched her arm. She spun around and her hair whipped through the air smoothly, landing delicately back on her back. She looked up at him.

“Zak?”

He swallowed and eyed the rest of the people who were hanging back. Everyone quickly moved out of the room, including the teacher, dropping the keys on his desk.

They were alone.

She searched his eyes, confused. “What is it?”

“I know you think you’re fine and stuff but I’m just saying that if he does anything…”

“Zak, You don’t know how powerful I am. What you’ve seen is only a bit of my power. I could easily kill him with one scratch.” She blinked innocently back up at him and it puzzled him at how natural it came out, as if killing someone was a normal thing, well it probably was for her.