Chapter 18 - Zak Zak Zak. Oh Zak.

Zak panicked.

He was blind.

His sanity had only survived due to the digging of Gems’ fingers in the back of his arm. He hadn’t a clue what was about to happen. All he knew was that Jasmine had somehow moved away from him in the past second without him realising until now.

She was no longer beside him, which made him think that she wasn’t after him. With Gems in the darkness too, she was completely vulnerable to Jasmine’s grasp. Then she’d finish him off, leaving them dead in the graveyard, of all places.

“Gems run! Save yourself!” he shouted and pushed Gems even further away from him, causing her to stumble. Jasmine would never stumble. She was too prefect to do that; the vampire within her had made her the best at everything. However, Zak shook his head disapprovingly, comparing them wasn't exactly going to help in this situation right now.

Gems screamed and gripped his arm tightly, her nails dipping into his flesh. He winced and grounded his teeth together but held her close to his body. At least he wouldn't be alone.

“Zak!” She screamed and tightened her hold. He held her in his arms, feeling her hair tickle his shoulders, moving his hands up her shivering body, up to her neck, covering her skin from harm, feeling the pounding hot blood running through her, knowing that Jasmine was probably being encouraged by it the more Gems panicked.

“It’s me.” He whispered against her head as she flinched under his fingers. She scrambled around his skin and grabbed onto him even more.

“We have to get out of here.” Gems whimpered.

“There is no point. She cannot get away now.” Jasmine growled and he thought he saw her fangs glinting in the dark. She twirled on the spot and then he knew that they were done for. This was bad. What had he gotten them into? They were going to die. The graves around them started to move as Jasmine muttered her little spells under her breath.

She flew up into the sky. Her hair moved like water in the air. Bones and left over flesh joined together to make corpses, old and young, come out of their graves. They reminded Zak of the film The Mummy, only these mummies were real, very real. They circled Zak and Gems in a perfect circle that began shrinking very slowly.

“You’re not going to hurt Gems.” Zak shouted at her, though it only came out in a whisper as his voice broke. However, she looked down on them as if she’d heard clearly and smirked.

“Your hand won’t stop me, Zak. You don’t know how easy it could be for me to kill her at this very moment.” She froze, causing everything to stiffen as she zapped to their side. Gems screamed and Jasmine cocked her head to the side as she studied Zak’s tightening grip. “I can break your hand, Zak. I could stab her even if I didn’t touch your hand. It’s not just the neck that kills, though it’s the best place. I could kill her anywhere on her body. You can’t cover everything.” She drifted her cold hand over Gems’ forehead and Gems moved closer to Zak, hiding into his chest. Jasmine tutted.

“Stay away.” Zak squeaked.

Jasmine grinned, raising an eyebrow. “Don’t be rude. Watch.” She hissed, bearing her fangs at Gems.

            Zak stared at Jasmine like never before. Her face had gone opal white and her eyes were bright scarlet slits. How could someone so beautiful at school, so nice and so quiet, turn into something terrifying, something strong and powerful, something so inhuman? He had many questions…but would it distract her enough to let them go?

            She crouched slightly and glanced at them with challenge in her look. “Don’t blink.” A smirk rippled along her lips before she sprung and zapped Gems away from Zak with one continuous swoop. Gems screamed and Zak cried out in terror. Jasmine gripped Gems and held her still powerfully, a metre or so away from Zak, who stared with wide terrified eyes at the two girls. Gems whimpered as Jasmine stood behind her, her hand running down Gems’ cheek to her tilted neck.