Chapter 19 - Jasmine's Depressed Emotions

Jasmine let a tear drop from her blank black eyes again.

This was ridiculous! Why was she breaking down?! She really did pick her moments to destroy everything she had going for her. She’d been so close to her main aim. She’d been just about to strike and now the stupid water works had turned on and it was making her look like a fool, weak and pathetic, just like she used to be before her vampire life. Now her human life had decided to bite her in the butt just as she was about to attack.

            The one thing she swore she wasn’t going to remember, the one thing she didn’t want to think about and she had to do it now. It was right in front of her patients too. It was terrible, a disgrace to her kind. Her vampire colleagues would have been disappointed. She needed to be punished. This just wasn’t professional.

            Bringing back the moments she had with her ex-boyfriend made her depressed. She was alone. She would always be alone; she realised that now. Who would love a vampire the way she wanted them to, especially herself? She wouldn’t tell them. The monster she was controlled her life now. It wasn’t really a life anyway. She should have died years ago. She was only holding on to a figment of a body. It didn’t even belong to her soul anymore. 

            Gems moved back towards them both and Jasmine bowed her head even more in shame. She was vulnerable and it frightened her, particularly when she was around humans. She was strong but they had seen her weakness and they could escape her grasp if they desired.

Oh well. She didn’t care anymore.

So what if they escaped? No one would believe them and, anyway, even if people did believe them, it could get her out of the hideous thing she was. The Elders would surely visit her and kill her for showing people that vampires existed, although she was doing that already. Either way, her life was now over, vampire or not.

            The Elders were the oldest vampires known in history. Some say they came to be because the devil needed someone to walk the earth for him, just like God allowed Jesus to do his wishes. There were five Elders in total and Jasmine had never seen them in her existence. Every vampire she’d come across had only heard rumours about them.

Although there was no evidence to suggest that these Elders still existed, Jasmine certainly didn’t want to risk it. Meeting with the Elders was definite death. No one saw the Elders and lived to tell the tale. They kept the vampire world flowing by developing rules that vampires had to keep. Failure to stay to these rules and the vampire responsible would simply disappear, never to be seen again, although it was hard to tell when a vampire disappeared due to the fact that vampires rarely met each other and, when they did, it was only brief, no strings attached.

Jasmine was glad, in a way, that she had broken one of these rules. It meant that she didn’t have much time left for the world. It could be hours or days but she knew that they would come for her then her vampire days would be finally over. Her soul could return to the devil with it's head bowed, begging for forgiveness, and she would never step in daylight again.

             Gems tapped the sad vampire’s shoulder and Zak wrapped his arms around them both. He leaned closer to Jasmine‘s face and she could feel his breath on her hair as he struggled on how to respond. The closeness made her feel even worse. His heart was still beating very, very fast and she couldn’t help but force herself to ignore the temptation to turn her neck in one swift movement and devour his blood supply.

“What’s the cure?” He repeated and Jasmine looked up into his soft blue eyes, searching his face, watching his pupils alter due to the paleness of her skin. She decided to tell him. She might as well make the most of it before she died. There was no hope for her now.