Chapter 20 - Zak's Truthful

Zak was terrified, but that would have to wait. He had to do this, he had to. He knew he could. He was a footballer, after all, for goodness sake. He could do anything!

Well, maybe he was going over the top a bit, but he could do many, many things. He had gone through worse things than this.

            One kiss wasn’t going to be a problem. It was just one small kiss. He kissed Gems all the time. It wouldn’t be any different. It would just be with - he swallowed – Jasmine, the beautiful, perfect, pale skinned, gorgeous, dark eyed, red tongued, black haired, slim, amazingly powerful vampire.

What would be the difference?

            The fangs. He’d seen how long they could get. He could imagine them in her mouth, hiding behind her teeth. If she slipped up just once when they were kissing, he would become one too. He didn’t even know how that worked but it wasn’t the time to ask and find out. He was risking his life by kissing a girl, a vampire, Jasmine, and he had no idea how she would react or how he was going to kiss her when she had fangs. It was going to be difficult for him to process.

            Hadn’t he wanted to kiss her anyway, in his bedroom? He’d been so close once before. He’d felt her hips. She’d brushed her fingers along his chest. They had been very, very close. Extremely close. He’d thought he was going to cheat on Gems.

Yes, he had wanted to kiss her so badly, then. She was just so irresistible. Her fingers were magic and they’d played with his heart strings. Why didn’t he feel that now?

            He knew she was a vampire. He scrunched his eyes up. The news was hard to believe but exceedingly true. If he had known she was a vampire, he would have never gotten so close, would have never felt the things he had felt. She was dangerous, too dangerous to be around. The idea of being so close to his death was a terrifying thought. She could have easily bled him and Gems dry at any possible opportunity.

            He couldn’t think about that now, though. He had to think about Jasmine whilst forgetting that she was a vampire. He had to force his mind to believe that she was indeed human. No way would he be able to do it if he had fangs in his mind. He couldn’t even imagine going near them. Wouldn’t it make the kiss uncomfortable?

He remembered all the school days, how human she had acted at the time. She hadn’t really acted human very well at all, he realised. She had been much too perfect. There had been signs of her vampirism but he didn’t know much about them to pick up on them. He must have been blinded by her beauty to notice.

No wonder Gems had been going insane. Gems had picked up the unnatural behaviour and had tried to warn him. Why hadn’t he listened to her? Jasmine had just been too perfect to find a flaw with.

“Jasmine.” he said now and sighed. His feeling for Gems disappeared as her name danced on his tongue. It was sweet to taste. It must have been cursed or something, he thought suddenly. Anything was possible at the moment. He didn’t know very much about how vampire’s worked or what powers they had.

Why would he? He had only realised that they were real about an hour ago. He knew they had powers, though, and that was obvious. He wondered whether she had any powers he didn’t yet know about…

It was probable.

“You’re frightened of me.” Jasmine stated sadly and her eyes flickered to the ground with defeat. “It won’t work if you are frightened of me.” She started to turn away but he held her still.

“I’m not frightened of you… scared maybe.” He closed his eyes then opened them slowly, looking into her beautiful flawless face.

“Same thing.” She shrugged. His hands stayed on her arms, powerful but probably very light for a vampire like herself.