Chapter 31 - Jasmine's Shocking Realisation

Jasmine waited for Darren after school, glad that he appeared before Zak and Gems so that Zak wouldn’t have a big go, or talk, at her. She felt more confident around Darren, even when she hardly knew him. Of course she knew him really, he just didn’t know that she knew him. She wanted to tell him her secret, to let him in on why Zak treated her that way.

            There wasn’t really much of a secret to tell, because she was no longer a vampire. Only the powers and talents remained. Maybe he’d guess. Maybe, if she let him close enough, he would guess her secret. That would be good. For some reason, she wanted to share everything with him.

            Darren stumbled back when he reached Jasmine outside the gates. She’d smiled at him as he had come over to meet her, touching her hand lightly with his cool fingers. He hadn’t expected her to touch his cheek and kiss him softly on the mouth. It had surprised him, making him wobbly on his feet. He’d gone pink with how casual the action had been for her. She could read his expression and knew that he wouldn’t have done it.

“Hello.” He breathed and looked down at her with sparkling eyes.

“Hello.” She smiled joyfully and took his hand.

            Gems and Zak appeared at the door and Darren’s face instantly dropped. Zak narrowed his eyes and glared at the couple as he walked down. Gems, on the other hand, bounced up to them with a smile on her face.

“I heard you kissed. Wit woo.” She whistled and Jasmine and Darren blushed pink while Zak made his way over to stand next to his girlfriend. “I’m so happy for you. You look great together.”

Darren swallowed and looked down at the floor. Jasmine watched him before returning to Gems’ statement. “Thanks.”

“Well we’d better go. We’re going back to Zak’s. Want to come?”

Zak stared at them. I dare you to.

She stared straight back. “Sure.”

“Great. Come on.” Gems took Zak’s hand and pulled him along.

            Darren and Jasmine stood there for a moment, then looked at each other. They understood each other completely. They sighed at the same time then laughed before laughing again because they laughed the same time. Zak turned his head to raise his eyebrow and they shut up quickly. Jasmine took Darren’s hand. His fingers curled around her palm and tickled them lightly. They slowly followed a few steps behind.

“Are you sure this is a good idea?” Darren whispered in her ear. She felt her stomach do back-flips and she half shivered as his breath tickled her skin. Why was she like this now? It had never been like that before.

“He can’t do anything, and anyway, what’s really going to happen?” She whispered back as they crossed the road.

“Anything can happen in this world.” Darren murmured, his eyes flashing darkly as his fingers clasped tightly to her wrist.

Jasmine looked down at his grasp then back up at his face. Was she missing something? Maybe she didn't know him afterall. 

He gave her a funny look, cocking his head to the side as he leaned towards her. She grinned as she searched his face, half understanding. 

It was the flash of his eyes that did it. 

She stopped dead at the same time that he did and stared into his eyes with a gasp. No. It couldn't be. How hadn't she not picked up on it?! Darren looked back at her, his eyebrows suddenly frowning as he begged her to understand.