Chapter 11 - Jasmine's Disappearance

JASMINE'S POV

Jasmine was outside her door as soon as Zak walked past. With the sensitive hearing and her amazing smell, now attuned to Zak's personal scent, she knew he was coming her way as soon as he had stepped out of the door to his house.

She'd also seen him exit his house from the attic where she kept all of her vampirism stuff for her missions, including any extra equipment just in case something went wrong, which it never did. It was slowly collecting dust as Jasmine couldn't be bothered brushing off the surfaces. It wasn't as if she was stalking him...

            She'd rushed down the stairs and had waited patiently, still as a statue, just in front of her front door, feeling his every move as his feet stepped across the pavement. She had a bright green bow tilted in her hair, taking his advice he had said yesterday as they had walked from school. She felt excited about whether he'd notice the change in her, even if it was just a stupid accessory. It had taken her all of a few minutes to track one down, buried deep within her old human belongings which she hadn't got round to throwing out yet.

Her eyeliner was still as black and as perfect as ever this morning. She enjoyed putting on make-up to make herself look alluring. It was like preparation for a game. This was a game she couldn't wait to participate in.

He looked a little surprised to see her as she pulled open her front door just as he reached her gate to pass it. She wondered why it was so surprising, because he knew where she lived and he knew she'd be walking to school. Floating along would have been a lot quicker but, after last night, Jasmine was determined to get Zak on his own again before Gems turned up and played hell with them.

She enjoyed his company better when he was on his own anyway. She loved his simple touches and his quick intakes of breath every time she moved and skimmed his elbow. Her hair dangled down her back and swayed to wrap strands around his back when no one was looking, just to show that she could do it.

They walked to school together side by side silently. She had made herself much prettier than yesterday to make sure that Zak still kept looking at her throughout the day. She liked knowing that she was pretty and that the stares weren't because she was a monster. Vampirism was very good at times like this. She enjoyed being the most beautiful girl known to human beings even if she wasn't a human being herself.

             However, as they walked along, she started to get the feeling that he was making himself distant with her, despite her effort to catch his attention. He seemed nervous and twitchy as they walked, creating space between them in case they accidentally brushed arms. Maybe he'd have a fit if she so much as brushed his skin.

His eyes kept flicking to her as well, but not in the way she'd hoped. They were weary and uncomfortable as if he didn't know what to do with himself. He looked flustered and she wondered what could have happened after she'd left him that night or whether it was because of what had actually happened that was making him so upset.

             She'd layered her hair even more as soon as she'd come back from Zak's house, and had put a few clips in to make him comment on how much prettier her hair looked. Also, it helped keep her hair under control. Sometimes she thought it was only there to try and smother her face as if it was alive. She'd never thought about tying it up or doing anything with it because it was something she'd kept the same since her human life.