Chapter 13 - Jasmine's Encounter

JASMINE POV

Jasmine was hiding behind the bench that sat behind Zak from where he stood at this very moment. She'd been particularly careful not to make herself noticeable by the team mates that were looking for her. If she was seen, she would have been found out and that wouldn't have been good. Jasmine didn't want anyone but Zak to find her. It was just like a game of hide and seek, only that she would definitely win every single time.

She crouched behind the seats and studied everything with her vampire-like eyes. She could easily see the whole situation from where she sat, or rather squatted. In her ash form she was able to easily move around the area without drawing attention to herself. She'd seen children play this game plenty of times before. She knew the rules and she had long since figured out how to win every time even without her powers. Therefore, being invisible in the middle of the game was cheating and wasn't very fun for her.

However, considering this particular situation, Jasmine thought it was the best idea to cheat. She didn't want Zak sneaking up on her without her realising and blowing her whole cover.

Speaking of which, Zak clearly missed her quite a lot, due to the amount of screaming he was doing, and she smiled happily. Someone did like her after all. Someone cared for her. For one of the first times in decades, tears welled up in her eyes and threatened to spill down her cheeks but she blinked them back with effort.

Why was she hiding behind a bench anyway? It's not as if they would be able to see her even if she came out from behind it. She wasn't human, she was a floating pile of ash. She wasn't visible, she was invisible. There was no need to hide. Nevertheless, she couldn't remove herself from the position she was currently in, despite her power, whenever Zak whizzed around to see if he could spot her.

            It had felt weird, staying solid for over six hours a day. She wasn't used to it. Her body wasn't used to it. Sometimes she forgot she was a vampire and began acting like a real human teenage girl. It was strange being in this situation again in a different form, even if the people were completely different.

It scared her to realise that she was so natural at some points throughout the day. She could so easily hint or slip up and end up showing them who she truly was. The idea of letting herself do that without completely being in control was frightening.

The danger had become numb. She knew that it was dangerous mixing with people every day but she seemed to be getting used to it and it was a good feeling. It meant she was strong. She could cope without being that temped to kill everyone.

On the other hand, it was a bad thing because it meant she had nothing to fear. If she didn't fear hurting the humans then she was more likely to expose herself accidentally. This was a huge risk but, for some unknown reason, Jasmine had a feeling that it was worth it.

            She drifted over to Zak slowly, careful not to get in the way of people as they walked past her towards the school. Even though she was basically undetected, it was still quite obvious when a vampire passed you. She had noticed it once before when she had been a human and had only realised after becoming a vampire what had actually happened.