Chapter 12 - Zak's Heartattack

ZAK'S POV

Zak was finally able to take his gaze off Gems, who was now developing into a clinging monkey around his elbow. Her hands were gripping his arms, cold or sweaty, either way it was uncomfortable, her legs next to his, pulling on his shirt with some of her free fingers and almost stepping on his shoes in the process.

Zak felt almost, if not completely, embarrassed.

The poor mental soul, he thought. She was acting as if he was a prize. She was being selfish and it wasn't fair. It was as if Jasmine had just stolen her favourite fire-engine and Gems was having a fit because of it to try and claim it back. It was a will of powers and, so far, Gems was losing. He felt like he was being smothered by something he hadn't welcomed into his life.

Gems was turning into the complete opposite of what Zak had feelings for. It was unattractive and clingy and disturbing when others were waiting for him to respond, stood in the corner of his line of sight with their arms crossed judgementally.

He was angry at her for what she was doing to Jasmine: anyone would be in his situation. Jasmine had never done anything to Gems and, before last night, she had hardly even laid a finger on him. Gems was just a bully, something Zak had never noticed after all the time he'd been with her.

Of course she got angry at times for people getting in her way if she was in the canteen or lining up for something or trying to get to a particular place. She got grumpy when she didn't get what she wanted and she always was centre of attention when she wished to be. She would shout if someone broke something or did something she didn't approve of but he didn't realise how bad she could actually get.

Were these little instances his hints about the Gems he was seeing now? Was he so blind not to notice what was actually underneath all of that soft romantic personality?

Her eyes were wide but narrowed in aggravation as she stared at his face, waiting for a response. He'd never properly been angry with Gems before, though obviously they had had some arguments in the past, like every other relationship had. He could think of a million and one things they bickered about on a daily basis, stupid stuff about a film they were supposed to watch but didn't or plans which were suddenly cancelled due to other important matters.

However, they'd only been silly little things that both of them had ended up apologising for after a few minutes. There had never been anything like this, nothing this angry. This feeling had never happened to him before in anyone's company and it was new to him. It scared him how angry she'd made him feel.

However, Gems wasn't just anyone. She cared for him deeply. He didn't blame her for being over protective when another girl entered the picture. He would have expected anyone to act that way especially if the other girl was drop dead gorgeous like Jasmine was. It was natural. Jasmine was seen as a threat, no matter how harmless she actually was.

On the other hand, she was taking it a bit over the top now. This had gone on too long for Zak's liking. Even if another girl entered the picture, Zak believed that violence shouldn't be involved, especially when it came to bullying others. The worst that normally happened was that the girl would become increasingly clingy and would maybe try and get all the attention on themselves or something.