Pregnancy Complications Part 2

Here is the second part to the previous chapter. Hope you guys enjoy it! xxx 

"Ma'am can you tell me what your name is?" The nurse asked as her and the other nurse helped me from the wheelchair onto the bed in the ER room.

"Y/n Horan." You said.

"How far along are you?" The nurse asked.

"19 weeks, 2 days. I'm having twins." You said.

"Okay, and tell me what brought you in tonight." She said.

"I'm having sharp pains and my stomach gets hard. It lasts a few minutes and then goes away. But then it comes back after about ten minutes." You said. "I called my regular doctor in London and she told me to get to the nearest hospital."

"Okay, we're going to get your vitals as we wait for the doctor to come in." She said.

They spent the next few minutes getting your blood pressure, temperature, pulse, etc. Then there was a knock on the door and the on call doctor came into the room.

"Hello, I'm Dr. Smith. " The doctor said as he entered the room.

"Y/n Horan." You said shaking his hand.

"What seems to be going on this evening?" He asked.

"She is 19 weeks pregnant with twins and is having sharp pains ten minutes apart." The nurse said. "Her blood pressure is slightly elevated." She added.

Just then you felt another sharp pain come on. You winced and instinctively put your hands on your bump.

"Are you having pains right now?" The doctor asked.

You nodded as you looked up at him.

"Can I have you put your hands at your sides for me? I'd like to feel your stomach if that's okay." He said.

"Yeah, that's okay." You said as you let your hands fall to your sides.

The doctor lifted your shirt up to just under your breasts so that he could get a good look at your stomach. He reached over and slid a pair of gloves on before he gently pressed his fingers against your hard belly.

He focused on your belly and then looked up at you. You could tell by his face that something wasn't right and that your doctor made the right decision by telling you to come here.

"Okay Mrs. Horan, I'm going to call up to the OB department here in the hospital and see if they have an available room for you. I think since you are having multiples that you would be in better hands with our OBGYN." The doctor said.

"Am I going into labor?" You asked as you looked up at him.

"I don't believe so. You are having contractions but I don't think they are true labor contractions. I believe they are something called Braxton Hicks Contractions. But I'd like the staff upstairs to take a look at it because they are the experts on this kind of thing.." The doctor said.

You laid your head back on the pillow and looked up at the ceiling as you tried to keep yourself calm. You could feel the tears forming in your eyes as you thought about all the outcomes of this. What if they kept you in the hospital for the rest of your pregnancy? Or put you on bed rest? You would go insane. What if you had the babies tonight? They wouldn't stand a shot being as little as they are. You knew it was important to stay calm. You felt a little better that the doctor didn't think they were labor contractions but you were still extremely tense.

"Mrs. Horan, I need you to take slow deep breaths, and stay calm for me, okay? Everything is going to be okay. Is there anyone I can call for you?" He asked.