Getting Pregnancy Advice: Niall's P.O.V

*Niall's P.O.V.*

Y/n had the girls over at our place for a girl's weekend while I was back home in Mullingar spending some time with my dad and my brother. It was going to be the last time I saw them before the babies arrived because the next two months were booked for work doing PR with the boys, and after that I wanted to be with Y/n at home in case she went into labor. I was not going to be that guy that misses the birth of his kids because I'm on the other side of the world working.

It was a chilly Saturday morning and my dad, Greg, and myself were at the golf course I grew up going to. I remember my dad taking me to this course and teaching me how to swing a club. It was the first time I completed a full 18 hole course, and it is where I developed my love for the sport. It felt nice to be here again after being on the road with work for so long.

"So Niall are you ready for those babies to come?" Greg asked as we were on the third hole.

"I don't know, I feel like I'm never going to be ready. I mean I've taken care of Theo when he was a baby. But that was just one. How am I going to know how to take care of two babies?" I asked as I looked over at him.

"Remember that there's two of them and two of you. Y/n will be there to help you. It's not like you're going to be a single dad trying to take care of two babies at once." Greg said.

"Greg's right, Ni. There will be so many people the first couple weeks that will want to help. I'll be there for anything you need, and I'm sure your mother will want to be there to help with those babies. You will be overwhelmed by how many people want to come to the house and want to help you. And Y/n is going to be there to help you too." My dad said.

"I know it will be like that at first but eventually everyone will go back to their normal lives, and eventually Y/n will need a nap or need a break. I mean what if she needs a nap? How am I supposed to get anything done with two babies in my arms all the time?" I asked.

"Then you sit down in your recliner and you hold them babies while you watch a football match." Greg said smiling at me. "You won't get to do everything you do now. You're going to give up "you time" but nothing is better than looking down at your child in your arms and seeing them smile up at you. Theo's smile still warms my heart and he's three. I'd do anything for him, and you'll be the same way with the twins." Greg said.

"I mean I know that I'm going to have to make sacrifices. There won't be as many nights out with the boys..."

"There won't be any nights out with the boys. You can't leave Y/n at home with those babies while you go out with the boys." Greg said as he cut me off.

"So what do I really need to know about being a dad? Is there any advice that you would give me?" I asked as I looked over at Greg and my dad.

"Well let me tell you a little known fact. Diapers aren't actually designed to hold poop in. They actually are designed to channel poop up the back and to the armpits." Greg said.

I made a look of pure disgust as I looked over at him.

"I'm serious. That happened to Theo multiple times. Poop doesn't just stay in the diaper." Greg said.

"He's right, you know, Niall. When you were little you always had poop everywhere...your back, your legs, your arms..." My dad said.

"That's so gross." I said.

"Gross, but it happens. There will be poop. Lots of poop. Don't think you're going to change one dirty diaper every now and then. You will change at the very minimum, three dirty diapers a day. And that's a pretty low number. And don't EVER forget to put the diaper back on after you change the dirty one. Trust me when you're half asleep at 3a.m. it can happen. Your wife will not be pleased with you when she goes to feed your baby and picks up a kid with poop everywhere!" Greg said.

"Okay I get it. Lots of poop and it will be everywhere. What else?" I asked as I was hoping to get the subject off of poop.

"Niall, there will be times in the middle of the night, while holding your child who's been crying for two hours, that you will think I CAN'T DO THIS!...Just remember YOU CAN DO THIS. And you know what, you can do this better than anything you have ever done before. And trust me parenting is one of the most demanding, aggravating, tiring, and grueling things a human can ever do. But right when you get to that breaking point where you think you can't do it, your baby will look you in the eye and you look in theirs and you see yourself in them. Then they smile that special smile that only the two of you share. They will look up at you with those impossible big eyes and smile that perfect little smile, and you will melt." Greg said.

"What about Y/n? Is there anything that changes in the marriage? Or anything I need to watch out for from her as a new mum?" I asked.

"Be prepared for Y/n to think the babies are breakable. You will try to throw them up as you play and she will freak out! You're not going to break your babies. Kids are durable. Sure the first few months are utterly terrifying because of how fragile they are. But as you have your father-child play moments, you will not hurt them!" My dad said.

"Become a napkin hoarder too. From everywhere. Starbucks, McDonalds, Nando's, friends' houses...and stash them everywhere: in your glove compartment, kitchen drawers, your back pocket, everywhere. You want access to a napkin within arm's reach at any given moment because you will always need them. Kids are messy." Greg said.

As I took in their advice I started to get a little worried. Sure I had babysat Theo and helped with Lux on tour, but that was just for a couple hours here and there. How was I ever going to take care of TWO babies 24/7.

I looked over at my brother and my dad, and I think they could both see the worry written across my face.

"Niall, just remember you are never going to parent the right way. Nobody does. Parent your way, and follow your gut. Talk to Y/n, and make sure you guys are on the same page, but her opinion is the only one that matters. Everyone had an opinion on parenting, but those twins are your kids. You can parent however you want, as long as Y/n agrees with you." My dad said.

"Thank you guys for all of this. I feel a little bit better about this, but I'm still scared to death." I said.

"Niall, it's not easy but it's worth it. You don't have to enjoy every second, but try to enjoy the great moments." My dad said.

"You're great with kids, Niall. You're going tobe a natural. Just trust your instincts. Once you hold those babies, you willknow what to do." Greg said as he reached over and put his hand on my shoulder.