Labor: Part 1

You and Niall walked into the Emergency entrance of the Hospital because it was the only part of the hospital that was open since it was the middle of the night. You stopped at the ER desk and told them you were here to deliver the twins. They called the OB Department right away to let them know that you were here.

One of the ER nurses walked you down to the OB Department, who had a birthing room ready for you. Niall set the bags down on the couch in the room and then rushed to your side. The two nurses helped you change out of your sweats into the hospital gown that was policy for the expecting mothers to wear during labor and delivery.

Just as the nurses finished helping you into the gown, Dr. Y/doctor/n walked into the room.

"Hi Y/n, how are you feeling?" She asked as she grabbed a pair of gloves from the box on the wall and slid them on.

"Nervous but excited." You said as you gave her a small smile.

"Ready for these babies to come?" She asked.

"Ready as we'll ever be." You said as you looked over at Niall.

"I want you to try to relax and take deep breaths. I'm going to see if you are dilated and if you are, how far along you are." She said.

"Okay," you said as you nodded and tried to relax your body.

She instructed you to put your feet flat on the bed and bend your knees slightly and spread them as much as you could so that she could get a finger in to measure how far along you are.

You felt a little bit of pressure as your doctor inserted a finger in to try and feel your cervix.

"Anything?" You asked.

"You're just barely 2cm dilated." She said.

You felt a little dissappointed that all of the pain of the contractions you had experienced so far had been for nothing. After some of the contractions you had you expected to be further along.

After that the doctor left the room and the nurse started doing the standard protocol for labor and delivery. She asked you to go into the bathroom and pee in a cup so that she could do a dipstick test to check for Sugar, Protein, Ketones, Blood cells, and bacteria that may or may not be present.

She also checked your vital signs: pulse, blood pressure, temperature, and breathing rate. Though, she didn't tell you that she was checking your breathing rate because you probably would have started breathing harder if you knew she was watching it. She also asked when your contractions started and how far apart they are, along with whether or not your water had broken and if there had been any vaginal bleeding.

After taking your vitals, someone from the hospital lab came in to do collect a small blood sample from you so they could determine your type (in case of a need for a transfusion in an emergency situation) and also to check for anemia, signs of infection, and other things that may cause a problem to you or the babies' health or your delivery.

She asked a few more additional questions like if the babies had been moving a lot and if you had eaten or drank anything. She also asked you about your pain including where your pain was at on a scale of 1-10 and how you were coping with the pain.

After all of that was out of the way the nurse hooked you up to not one, but two fetal monitors so they could keep an eye on both of the babies' heart rates.

"You won't be on the monitor all the time but we will probably do monitors every half hour or hour just to make sure that the babies are comfortable and that their heart rates aren't rising or falling." The nurse explained.