Chapter Thirteen: Like Father, Like Son

Brushing his fingers through his hair, Sergio sighed staring up at the ceiling knowing that it was certainly strange waking up alone at home but he didn't regret the decision that he had made. 

It might have been hard to move out of the house that he had shared with Pilar and their songs but Sergio knew that he had made the right decision; he wasn't going to allow anyone to make him miserable anymore.

Pilar wasn't pleased with what had happened but she understood why he had made that decision; neither of them were really happy anymore and it wasn't fair for them to try and force things. 

It would always be hard for Pilar to accept that he wasn't going to just ignore the child that he had fathered with Duchess of Valentinois. 

Sergio was going to be there for all of his children and do anything that he could to be a part of their lives; he was determined to be there for Sergio Jr, Marco and the unborn child that was due in January. 

Sitting up in bed, Sergio was just relieved that things were okay with Camille and the baby after the car crash that they had been involved in. 

It had really scared him after what had happened and Sergio couldn't believe that the press where still being as troublesome as ever; he had hoped that they would back off after what had happened. 

There had been a public outcry after what had happened to Camille and Charlene, something that made him pleased since he hoped that they would be shamed into stopping this madness. 

It was bad enough that one royal had been killed by the press chasing them down, now two more had nearly been killed and no one was happy about that.

***

Paqui pursed her lips as she looked around the house where her son now lived, she had not been happy when she had heard that he had ended things with Pilar; she had never thought that things would work out like this. 

It was the main reason that she had come to Madrid to speak with her son, she wished that he would see sense and Paqui couldn't imagine what was going on with him. 

"Madre," Sergio said knowing why she had come and he wished that she wasn't going to give him so much grief over this, he could understand that she was upset about all of this. 

The situation was far from the best and she had hoped that he would settle down and marry Pilar before much longer; the end of his relationship after four years hadn't been easy on anyone. 

"I know you are upset but I did the right thing... we weren't happy anymore," Sergio admitted shaking his head, he wasn't going to doom himself to a relationship that wasn't working anymore and both he and Pilar had been at fault for that. 

She had cheated with her ex-boyfriend and to get his own back on her, Sergio had cheated on her with Camille; they couldn't fix what had happened when neither of them were interested anymore. 

"It's because of that woman isn't it?" Paqui spat knowing that she would never forgive Camille for doing this to her son, she wished the woman would have just disappeared. 

Things would have been fine if Camille hadn't come forward with the news that she was having Sergio's baby; Paqui was sure that her father would have found a royal match for her if she had. 

Sergio rolled his eyes, he had explained clearly to his parents why he had ended things with Pilar and while his father had been expecting his mother wasn't. 

"This has nothing to do with Camille..." Sergio insisted doubting that a woman like that could ever be interested in him anyway, they were from different worlds and she was bound to find some lord or prince that would want to marry her one day.

Paqui scoffed not believing him for a moment, she had seen how her son had rushed away to Monaco and spent a week there after the crash; she was sure that the woman had her son wrapped around her finger. 

"You are just like your padre," Paqui said shaking her head, she couldn't believe that history was actually repeating itself and she had never thought that any of her children would be this stupid. 

Sergio had only been four when it had happened and Paqui doubted that her youngest even remember the year when their family nearly fell apart because of José María's actions. 

It was not a time that she wished to remember and she had been really hurt when her husband had cheated on her and fathered a child with another woman. 

"No... he, at least, had the sense to walk away when he did the same thing," Paqui spat, in the end she had won and she had been so relieved when José María had turned his back on that child for her; she had worried that he would run off with the other woman and leave her.

The two had never spoken about it and Paqui would have happily forgotten that time until everything that had happened had brought it back. 

Sergio stared at his mother wondering what the hell she was talking about, he felt a little confused and he doubted that his father would have ever done such a thing. 

"What are you talking about?" Sergio asked watching Paqui, he was sure that if his father had ever fathered another child that he would know about it. 

Paqui pursed her lips, she was going to have to tell her son about what had happened and she hoped that it would lead him to make the right decision; he could not bring shame on his family like this.

***

Camille smiled to herself as she finished dinner with her father and step-mother, it was nice to be able to relax and she was able to forget everything that was going on with the press. 

It was strange to think that the madness that was going around was because of her, Camille wished that she could make it go away and she knew that it irked her family that the media were not respecting any boundaries. 

It was for that reason that they had insisted that she move back into the Palace of Monaco for the rest of her pregnancy, it was the best way to keep her and the baby safe right now. 

Her aunts had both been furious about what had happened and they couldn't understand what the press had been thinking when they had nearly killed Camille, Charlene and the baby in that accident. 

"Have you heard from Sergio?" Charlene asked having noticed how close the two had seemed during the footballer's last visit; she was more than sure that her step-daughter was starting to grow rather fond of Sergio. 

It wouldn't be a surprise to her if the footballer felt the same and Charlene was sure that a royal wedding would happen for Camille sooner rather than later. 

"He's busy," Camille replied with a shrug, she preferred to wait until he called her so that she didn't disturb him or interrupt him when he was busy. 

It was strange how close she had become with him and Camille was sure that he was just busy settling into his new home, he had told her all about it during their last phone call and she was sure that he was just adjusting. 

Albert raised an eyebrow as he looked between his wife and eldest daughter, he felt a little out of the loop and he had a feeling that it would stay that way for a while.