Chapter Thirty-One: Isabel's Baptism

Climbing out of the car, Sergio took a deep breath as he tried to ignore the flash of cameras that seemed to surround them knowing that there was little that they could do about them now.

It made him a little nervous about the entire situation and he wished that they could just give them a break so that they could enjoy an important day with their daughter and families.

Sergio's attention moved to Camille and he was relieved that she seemed to know what was happening; she looked beautiful in the cream cape dress that she was wearing for the ceremony.

Albert had made it clear that he wanted this to be a special occasion for his first grandchild and the Cathedral of Monaco had been selected for the venue since it had also hosted the last royal baptism.

Sergio waited until Camille had Isabel in her arms before the two of the headed into the Cathedral and he was surprised so many people had shown up for such an event.

The guest list had been kept rather small and Sergio was relieved that it wasn't as important event like the baptism of Camille's younger siblings.

Stepping into the Cathedral, Camille felt relieved and looked down at Isabel glad that they were away from the paparazzi so that they could focus on what really mattered now.

The Archbishop of Monaco smiled moving forward to greet the couple and their daughter, it was a good day and the weather was wonderful for such an occasion.

Sergio and Camille had thought carefully about who they wished to be the godparents to their daughter and they had agreed that they should each pick two people that they felt deserved such a role.

King Felipe VI, Queen Letizia, President François Hollande of France, The Princess of Hanover, Iker Casillas and Jazmin Grimaldi were all in attendance for the event and had graciously accepted their duties of godparents to Isabel. 

It had come as a surprise to him that Mirian had agreed to attend along with her family with everything that was going on and even more so that she was here right now along with René and his family.

Sergio hadn't expected either of them to want to be here but he was pleased that finally things did seem to be getting better with his own family; he had feared that things would never recover after what had happened.

It was going to take some time for things to return to the way that they had been but it was nice to see that they were all taking a step in the right direction.

Even Sergio's mother was in attendance and she looked determined to play the part of doting grandmother today of all days especially with so many people watching them now.

"Shall we?" the Archbishop of Monaco asked moving to take Isabel from her parents, it was such an important day and he was sure that they weren't waiting on anyone else to arrive.

Sergio nodded his head, he had been disappointed that Junior and Marco couldn't be here with them; he had hoped that Pilar might agree but she had refused since the ceremony was out of the country.

His ex was rather upset with how the court had decided things would work out and wasn't going to let him get away with more than had already been agreed to.

That mattered little to him now only that he got to spend more time with his sons when they returned to Madrid; he was looking forward to having all his children together.

Camille took a deep breath as the ceremony started and she was thankful that things had worked out this way; she couldn't imagine doing any of this on her own.

The papers talked enough as it was and Camille doubted they would have been kind if she'd been on her own in this situation; she could deal with a couple of people hating her with Sergio on her side.

***

"She's beautiful Sergio," Mirian said approaching her younger brother during the small party that Albert had thrown to celebrate the baptism of his first grandchild; it was a quiet affair but there was no denying that no expense had been spared.

Sergio looked at her surprised, he honestly didn't know what to expect from either of them especially with how tense things had become.

His eyes moved across the room to where Colleen was, he was pleased that she had been able to make it and he hoped that no one was giving her any trouble.

"I am sorry that I wasn't more supportive at the beginning," Mirian stated looking towards their half-sister, she hadn't spoken to her but she wasn't in a hurry to do so just yet.

Things were still tense within the family and while things were slowly starting to get better, it was better to take things one step at a time instead of jumping head first into something.

Sergio nodded his head, he was a little lost for words and he knew that this wasn't going to be easy; he wasn't sure what to expect from her or his brother right now.

Isabel was important to him and Sergio would never regret doing the right thing by his daughter, she was just as much a part of him as Junior and Marco were.

Mirian watched Sergio for a moment before she turned to look towards Camille and Isabel, she had been surprised when Paqui had told her that Sergio was engaged to the woman but she knew that they should have seen this coming.

Sergio was always going to try and do the right thing even if no one was prepared for what would come from his actions especially when it came to his family.

"Does she make you happy?" Mirian asked watching Camille fuss over Isabel, she didn't know much about the woman only what she had seen in the papers and that was going to have to change.

The news of their engagement was hard to ignore now and Mirian doubted anything would change Sergio's mind from this even if she attempted to do so herself.

Sergio stared at Mirian and nodded his head, he had no doubts about what he wanted and he knew that this had all been done in the worst way possible; he just hoped that he could make this right.

"I am... happier than I have been in a long time," Sergio admitted with a smile, he had never thought that this would happen when Camille had told him that she was pregnant but he knew that he was finally doing the right thing.

The two-year deal that he had with Camille would be worth it and he could understand why she was so hesitant to marry him when they hadn't even been dating when he had asked her to marry him.

"I know I've made a royal mess of things but I am trying to make that right Miri and I hope that things between us can get better," Sergio murmured not wanting to discuss his family problems in such an open place; they were a mess right now and he had no idea what might happen next.

Paqui was finally starting to come around and was even willing to accept the fact that her husband wasn't going to turn his back on Colleen again no matter what she said now.

Mirian swallowed and nodded her head, it was a mess and it truly wasn't all his fault when they were all to blame for the mess that they were in; she just wished that they hadn't all been so stupid.

"You won't have any more problems from me... I would love to see more of my niece and nephews," Mirian assured him, she might not live in the Spanish Captial but she was willing to put in the effort to try and fix their family.

Sergio smiled at his sister and nodded his head, he did plan to take Camille, Junior, Marco and Isabel to Seville for a couple of weeks of holiday and he doubted that Pilar could deny him that.